I have a pen that has the following in it:

bronze split blackshoulder peacock
bronze split blackshoulder hen
spalding cameo peacock
(2) spalding cameo peahens
spalding opal blackshoulder peacock
spalding opal blackshoulder peahen
IB splt opal hen

ALL of these birds are known to me to be one year olds except the IB split opal hen. She is supposed to be one but I got her in the early winter so theoretically someone may have been wrong abou tthe age.

We have had five eggs from this pen. Two were fertile and both have hatched. Here are pictures:

I have no idea what they are and in the case of the second one I see no sign of pied in the adults. I have never hatched cameo before so they could be cameo and I just dont know what I am looking at. They are both definitely proof that at least one year old males can be fertile. I have not seen any eye feathers on any of the three males but there may be one.

I have a pen that has the following in it:

bronze split blackshoulder peacock
bronze split blackshoulder hen
spalding cameo peacock
(2) spalding cameo peahens
spalding opal blackshoulder peacock
spalding opal blackshoulder peahen
IB splt opal hen

ALL of these birds are known to me to be one year olds except the IB split opal hen. She is supposed to be one but I got her in the early winter so theoretically someone may have been wrong abou tthe age.

We have had five eggs from this pen. Two were fertile and both have hatched. Here are pictures:

None of the peafowl in this penn are either split white or spit pied. No pattern genes are either mentioned . How is it possible to get pied chicks ???? . Can we see some good pictures of the peafowl in that penn.?Being not even fully yearlings yet- laying eggs that early in the season--astonishing !! or may be some kind of a mix up some where ?///

Last edited:
No mix up. I marked and collected the eggs myself. Obviously, there would appear to be pied genetics in this group somewhere. We just have not noticed it as white flights. I believe the cameo peacock produced these chicks with the India blue hen. I would bet she is really two years old. The cameo peacock was a very early chick last year. I would bet that the IB hen has white flights and I have just not noticed. These birds are in a large flight pen and we have paid little attention to them other than routine care. We will let them grow up a little bit and see what they look like. I had no eggs from this group last week. I have no pictures of this group. I have an NPIP inspection in the next few weeks and intend to catch, test and worm each bird. I will pay a little closer attention to colors and patterns then.

That is no surprise that a two yr old IB hen (with white flights) laid a few eggs.. Your cameo yearling male is then split to pied. It stands reasoning how you got those pied chicks. What is surprising is that a yearling infact can fertilise the eggs, though very rare - news for all peafowl lovers. Congratulations to you my friend

Back
Top Bottom