Only 1 chicken laying

mamaskills

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2023
Hello, this my first flock of chickens and I have a few questions. I have two Sapphire Gems, one that started laying about three weeks ago, she lays almost every day now. The other one is much larger and just started squatting yesterday. I have two RIR's and one laid one egg about a week ago and nothing since, and 2 Australorp both are squatting but no laying. They are all probably 19 almost 20 weeks now. We have a coop cam so I know who is laying, and no one besides the one Sapphire Gem has even gone into the nesting box. Is it normal that they don't go in and check them out until they will lay? The RIR plopped it in the middle of the coop :) And is it normal that the same breed would start laying a month apart?

Last edited:
Hello, this my first flock of chickens and I have a few questions. I have two Sapphire Gems, one that started laying about three weeks ago, she lays almost every day now. The other one is much larger and just started squatting yesterday. I have two RIR's and one laid one egg about a week ago and nothing since, and 2 Australorp both are squatting but no laying. They are all probably 19 almost 20 weeks now. We have a coop cam so I know who is laying, and no one besides the one Sapphire Gem has even gone into the nesting box. Is it normal that they don't go in and check them out until they will lay? The RIR plopped it in the middle of the coop :) And is it normal that the same breed would start laying a month apart?
Hi Mama ,
I have 6 Light Sussex and 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte hens but only 2 are adults. There are another 2 that are just a year old. Although the books I have read on this topic says anytime from 18 to 24 weeks, I think 24 to 30 weeks would be more accurate. I assume you are feeding layers pellets...? because they do need all the relevant nutrients in order to start laying. I had a few that were old enough October last year, but they hung on till the end of Feb before they started laying. I wouldn't worry too much, when they feel ready they will start .

Back
Top Bottom