Ooter-Cooter-Goose got himself hurt.

DarkWater1929

Songster
7 Years
Jan 27, 2015
Redding, California
My Ooter-Cooter-Goose is a 4-5 year old gander. He and his girl, Daisy, are sweet as pie to my husband and myself. But, they are both pretty sure that the rest of the World's population, without exception, are evil, and intent upon doing us grave harm. They are both very protective.

One of Ooter's more alarming tactics is to run after cars, flapping and biting at the tires. I am always afraid that he will be hurt or killed. Well, today, he was indeed injured. I don't think it is awfully bad, but it clearly hurts.

His ankle (?) Has had the outer layer of skin loosened. It is red underneath. He will let me manipulate the joints, all the way up to the hip, so I don't think it is broken. But, he lists way over to the side, when he sits down, so as to put no pressure on it.

I am thinking warm soak, and confinement? Is that good? For how long, each?

Thank you for any input!!! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220128_162214_1643416270306.jpg
    20220128_162214_1643416270306.jpg
    976 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220128_162136.jpg
    20220128_162136.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220128_162127.jpg
    20220128_162127.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 3
No experience with this, just glad to hear that he wasn't hurt more seriously. Since he's a goose, I'd be surprised if he learns from his mistake. Hope he recovers.

If Ooter was mine, I would just soak him in warm water with epsom salts. Okay, honestly, if he was mine I would get hysterical, call my avian vet, drive half an hour to see her and then pay whatever it costs for her to "fix" him. I'm sure others will have more useful advice.

I can’t tell you how long to soak it, however long you can get him to soak it and definitly confine him until he can get around on his own.

Poor guy! It’s hard to get them to understand that some things aren’t meant to be messed with, hopefully he’ll stay away from cars in the future!

My Ooter-Cooter-Goose is a 4-5 year old gander. He and his girl, Daisy, are sweet as pie to my husband and myself. But, they are both pretty sure that the rest of the World's population, without exception, are evil, and intent upon doing us grave harm. They are both very protective.

One of Ooter's more alarming tactics is to run after cars, flapping and biting at the tires. I am always afraid that he will be hurt or killed. Well, today, he was indeed injured. I don't think it is awfully bad, but it clearly hurts.

His ankle (?) Has had the outer layer of skin loosened. It is red underneath. He will let me manipulate the joints, all the way up to the hip, so I don't think it is broken. But, he lists way over to the side, when he sits down, so as to put no pressure on it.

I am thinking warm soak, and confinement? Is that good? For how long, each?

Thank you for any input!!! Thank you!
I would definitely advise possibly penning him up with the other goose if he continues to chase cars. Or creating an area for them to roam safely.

I used to have a neighbor who let her hound dog chase cars down the street every morning. One day she wasn't so lucky and got hit chasing a car. Died on impact unfortunately. 😔

I hope your guy heals up well and you can get some help here. Best of luck to you!

No experience with this, just glad to hear that he wasn't hurt more seriously. Since he's a goose, I'd be surprised if he learns from his mistake. Hope he recovers.

If Ooter was mine, I would just soak him in warm water with epsom salts. Okay, honestly, if he was mine I would get hysterical, call my avian vet, drive half an hour to see her and then pay whatever it costs for her to "fix" him. I'm sure others will have more useful advice.
That is fabulous! If I could possibly afford it, I am sure that I would do just as you describe! I just adore this guy. He still does not walk. I am waging a very calculated battle against my husband's "no geese in the house" rule. It is cold! And, how could he possibly escape a predator? I am suggesting that, if Ooter cannot come in, perhaps I should just camp out beside him. I am beginning to scent victory....

Back
Top Bottom