opinion of Croad Langshan chickens?

avallen

Chirping
May 24, 2022
California
hi guys!
so i’ve been considering getting a few more chickens in the near future.
i’m very interested in the croad langshan breed. i’ve heard that they lay plum-bloom colored eggs.
does anyone have experience with this breed? what’s your opinion of them?
would this breed be right for me?
there’s small children in our family and we live in southern cali, so it gets pretty hot sometimes and doesn’t get super cold.
thanks! 🤍

I don't raise them, but have researched them because I was also intrigued by the possibility of adding a "plum" colored egg to my colorful egg basket. What I found was that most don't lay an egg with the "plummy" bloom. Ironically, I have a hen with BCM in her lineage who will, on occasion, lay a purplish/plum egg.

My intent is not to dissuade you from pursuing this particular breed, but the "plum" egg seems to be somewhat mythical. I hope Croad Langshan breeders will weigh in on the reality of egg color, as well as other characteristics.

A hatchery bird won't lay a true plum egg but might lay something sort of purplish-in-the-right-light. I got mine from Ideal and that's what she lays. I don't know how many breeders are focusing on the correct egg color but it *should* be possible to breed towards it.

My Black Langshan hens are sort of middle-of-the-road in my flock, but I haven't had a large number to compare to. But my Black Langshan Rooster is a stunner -- and thoroughly good-natured and mild-tempered too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/ludwig.7429824/

Back
Top Bottom