Opinions on Putting my Ducklings in The Coop Tonight?

lavendermarie

Songster
May 12, 2022
My ducklings are about three weeks old at this point, and have a lot of feathers on the breast area and some growing on the wings and tail. I was wondering what your guy’s opinion of putting them in the coop tonight would be? Do you think it’s safe? The overnight low should be about 61 degrees fahrenheit (16 ish celsius) and they've been spending the majority of their time outside this last week. Any help would be appreciated as I can’t find any answers more specific to my situation when I google it. Thank you!

I have only had ducks for a year, but everything I read said that ducklings can't regulate their body temperature until they are fully feathered. I kept mine under heat lamps (gradually backing them off) until they got all of their feathers.

My two Runner ducklings are three weeks and in our house. They have had no extra heat since a week old. House is kept at 67 degrees. Mine do not have hardly any feathers yet so they will stay inside for at least another week or two. My baby Mallards are outside with Momma duck and have been running around when 2 days old and it was 54 outside. I don't understand how they can take the cold so well and not stay under her. They will even get wet and still not care but be perfectly fine. It was 38 F the other evening and they were still fine. They have a tarp covered pet gazebo that they stay in with no heat whatsoever except for Momma Duck. I am amazed that they can run around in the cold and be perfectly healthy and not have to be under Momma Duck when it is cold out. I don't know what makes the difference between the ones we buy and the ones Momma Duck raises. She could care less if they are under her or not and they could care less too.

Back
Top Bottom