Orpingtons not laying, advice on what causes stress?

Apr 14, 2021
Central NJ
Everything I read about hens not beginning to lay mentions stress, but the few causes of stress are never clearly described to newbs like me.

All hens bought at same time (14 April), the orpingtons were, I'm guessing, 2 weeks old) Two of our hens have been laying like clockwork for the past 2 months (an Amberlink and a California white).

They have an Egglu with 6ft by 2 ft run attached to a 8ft by 8ft tall run, and I also fenced in a 50ft by 50ft area to let them "free range" while I am home.

On days I am not able to keep an eye out (hawks, bears and 2 fox dens!) they stay in the run and have pecking blocks, different style feeding stations, waterers, and a swing and a bunch of roosting bars. I also can move the run around so it doesn't turn into a mud pit and they can forage while locked in the run.

If something in their environment is stressing them, I want to try to eliminate it, but I do not think I have enough experience to know a stressor if it were staring me in the face :(

Would it be normal for them to not lay first egg until spring at this point? I am in NJ and it is already quite chilly and dark early, so maybe they are already in "winter mode"?

I have read having a light in the coop is also a good idea, but a light on all day and off at night? I wasn't sure how the light should be.

We have a bunch of game cameras set up around the chickens and the predators do not come close to the run or show themselves. At least on camera. But I don't know about the hawks.

How many pullets do you have? How many sq. feet per bird in their coop?
Often pullets will lay at least some eggs their first winter, but hens depend on lighting to keep laying those eggs, especially after this first year. Fourteen to sixteen hours of light each day is necessary, so many of us have a small light on a timer, 3am to 8am every morning, so egg production continues, although it won't be at maximum.
Stress can include sudden temp. changes, some predator prowling around at the coop, mites or lice, diet issues, or whatever.
Molting causes a big drop in production too.
I'm assuming that you don't have a hidden nest out there either?
Mary

There's a light in it that comes with the auto door, it is set up to come on an hour before the door closes, I believe the light can be set up differently.

The 2 hens that are laying lay together at 10am. They go outside at first light, then go in, lay and come back out.

5 birds all together, 3 orpingtons, Amberlink and California white.

Switched them to layer crumbles when the first two began laying. They hate pellets, so had a few days a while ago where they were demanding food but full feeders. Switched to crumbles and even when mixed with pellets they take the crumbles first haha.

The 3 not laying also do not "submit" when approaching them like the other two do, which makes me feel like they're not mature yet?

I'll take a bunch of photos when the sun is up, thank you.

I have also seen no sign at all of molting on anyone yet either...

Back
Top Bottom