Orpingtons pullets turning red face/comb/wattles

arubio92

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2023
NS, Canada
I got these orpington pullets as 10-11 weeks old according to the lady that sold them to me. Attached are the pictures from then and now from today. I think they're fully grown and I noticed their faces turning darker pink, the wattles are almost red and the comb has darkened a bit too. How much longer until they start laying?

I think they're older than what the lady said but I'm not 100% sure since they're so big but I know they are a large breed.

Any advice welcome!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 9.34.23 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 9.34.23 PM (1).jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 62
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 9.34.23 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 9.34.23 PM.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 36
I got these orpington pullets as 10-11 weeks old according to the lady that sold them to me. Attached are the pictures from then and now from today. I think they're fully grown and I noticed their faces turning darker pink, the wattles are almost red and the comb has darkened a bit too. How much longer until they start laying?

I think they're older than what the lady said but I'm not 100% sure since they're so big but I know they are a large breed.

Any advice welcome!
Lovely ladies! It’ll be a while yet, the combs will be bigger and darker, wattles also. They may not lay this year, we’re approaching Fall, days are becoming shorter which usually prompts them to stop laying. Don’t be surprised either way though, some girls lay through the first winter anyway.

This is what my buff orpington looked like on the day she laid. She was a bit of a surprise as I have 2 others that are much more developed and red than her. She was 19 weeks.

Attachments

• 20230818_122131.jpg
    20230818_122131.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 29
This is what my buff orpington looked like on the day she laid. She was a bit of a surprise as I have 2 others that are much more developed and red than her. She was 19 weeks.

I hope mine do soon too! :D You give me hope lol I have 1 EE hen and 1 ameracauna but the orpingtons seem more dark pink than them. Those 2 are supposed to be older (around 24 weeks) than the orpingtons, so who knows!

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-08 at 1.40.04 PM.jpeg

Got my first egg at 22 weeks from this girl. Her comb and wattles started to grow like crazy the week before she laid. No voluntary squat until I chase her and hold her for a few seconds.

Back
Top Bottom