Osteopeteosis

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
I am pretty sure that my 17 wk. old cream legbar has this disease. I just figured out this week that what was going on with her was more than just bing more timid and more sedentary. I take her in on Monday to be put down by the vet ( I researched how to kill her myself and I am unwilling to try). Because she had been part of the flock for the last 16 weeks I have not bothered to segregate her for her last couple of days. I am wondering if there is any action I can take in order to help my other chickens be resistant to the virus? So far all of the 5 other hens are doing great, including the other legbar that I got at the same time. All of my other chickens are about 24 weeks old and all are laying

What symptoms are you seeing? Diet?
Hatchet is the most sure way.
Swollen legs. And she's been listless and sits a lot. Still eats and does forage. Sticks close to her sister, the other young cream legbar. She's pretty much been this way since birth, except the swollen legs are new.
I know how to kill them, I just don't have the stomach for it. My question is more about the rest of my flock, since they have been exposed, if it's what I think it is.

Please post some pictures of the chicken’s legs. Osteopetrosis (marble leg disease) is a rarer form of avian leukosis. Since she has been part of the flock, I would be more apt to let her live as long as she is comfortable and eating/drinking. It would be good to have your state vet perform a necropsy to diagnose her. Here is a BYC picture of a chicken with suspected osteopetrosis, notice the hard swollen legs, and regular sized feet:
1701486924243.jpeg

Please post some pictures of the chicken’s legs. Osteopetrosis (marble leg disease) is a rarer form of avian leukosis. Since she has been part of the flock, I would be more apt to let her live as long as she is comfortable and eating/drinking. It would be good to have your state vet perform a necropsy to diagnose her. Here is a BYC picture of a chicken with suspected osteopetrosis, notice the hard swollen legs, and regular sized feet:
View attachment 3696013
Hers arent that thick, but noticeably thicker than her sister's. I talked to the state lab, and from my description they said they would not bother to do a necropsy on her, but I could have it done at Oregon State University for $150. I will talk to the vet about on Monday, before they put her down, and let the vet's opinion prevail. Thanks for the pic. I am out of town and the one I have attached is all I have on my phone. One leg looks sort of crooked at the joint, also.

Attachments

• 20231126_175548.jpg
    20231126_175548.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 7
You could also do a home necropsy and take pictures of the organs to post here, and to send to some poultry experts at a university. Leukosis is also called big liver disease, which usually does not show up until after 4 months of age.

Back
Top Bottom