Our 1st Lice infestation *_* Feedback needed please!

T plus B

Hatching
Aug 9, 2023
Hi fellow hen lovers and other birders! So we got our 1st lice on our hens, Queenie and Squiggles-McGiggles :( 1yr 3 months old. It's horible, most are all by their vents. And see clusters on the feathers of what we now know are the eggs. - Yuck...

Found on Sunday night, immediatly read a few suggestions online and got the DE foodgrade, Got it delivered in the evening, immediately applied on them directly by hand as suggested at roosting time so they would sleep thru the night. We applied it outside making sure to wear mask and glasses, my husband held the hennies making sure wind or dust didnt fly by her head or beak to prevent inhalation. Then afterwards read more up on DE and was so worried, so we did not move forward wirth adding it to their dusting area plus coop.

We let them sleep inside in a nice setup we do for them, they are very extraordinary well behaved little pets so when they do get to come indoors they are very well behaved. Whew. So thru the night and this morning ive been reading and reading, i saw that the SPRAY PREMO Poultry spray got excellent reviews, it's nontoxic and kills both nits(eggs) and lice. Does any body have any feed back on this Premo Poultry spray??

Also found Elector PSP, but may not be as non-toxic as the Premo??

Also, can i use olvie oil to remove the cluster of eggs on feathers?

Thank you all in advance for any helpful info on these two sprays!!

I can't any information on what premo contains s, I'd personally avoid it for that reason.
You're going have to treat the coop. Remove all the bedding and litter, apply electer psp or a permethrine based product everywhere in the coop and get new bedding and litter. You can easy dust the birds with a sock full if the powder.
I'm not sure if olive oil is the best idea but it couldn't hurt.

Premo is made from plant based enzymes. It will assist you in breaking down the "glue" holding those eggs on. In my experience it doesn't kill fast enough and there isn't any residual killing time. Though I was dealing with NFM and tropical fowl mites.
PSP will kill for a while and in my experience is about 2 weeks, not a month.

Lice hatch rapidly... treat every 3 days.

Becareful with those bugs in your house. They absolutely will leave those birds and nestle in carpet, etc.

Back
Top Bottom