Our Black Australorp chicks

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
I have been describing them as lean and mean, aggressive and take no prisoners :gig. But, I just read a thread and saw the word skiddish and think perhaps that is a better description. When I go to feed those babies they run around their pet playpen brooder like mad men and women. Now that they are older (we're talking 4 weeks here) they seem to want to peck a bit. I know I have to move fast to get out of their way. As I am lowering the food into their pen, man oh man get out of the way.

When I put fresh water in they storm it. I have it on TWO bricks and it still gets full of poop and shavings. They seem to knock each other out of the way for food and water - don't seem to be nice to each other at all from what I can tell.

For some reason I thought BA's were all docile, and sweet. Not complaining; simply observing.

Perhaps these qualities will fare them well when they go out to coop next month.

Any comments on this? TIA.

Right! When I did the research everyone said Black Australorps were the most docile and calm and ive gotten pecked by my black australorps more than our barred rocks, wyandottes and orpingtons combined for little to no reason XD I don't know. I've given up trying to catch 3 of our 4. Their wild. One I even call little demon cause I can't catch her at all to band her leg.

Of course, I can't see your set up, so this might not be the problem, but most brooders are smaller than larger and at 4 weeks - they really need to be out of a brooder and into a coop and run.

I don't know what your set up is, but chickens need a lot of sunshine, fresh air and space to exercise. Sometimes people keep them in too small of an area trying to keep them safe. Through kindness, they are actually not being good to the birds.

If they were in a much larger space, I think they would calm down.

Of course, I can't see your set up, so this might not be the problem, but most brooders are smaller than larger and at 4 weeks - they really need to be out of a brooder and into a coop and run.

I don't know what your set up is, but chickens need a lot of sunshine, fresh air and space to exercise. Sometimes people keep them in too small of an area trying to keep them safe. Through kindness, they are actually not being good to the birds.

If they were in a much larger space, I think they would calm down.That is more than fine with me
They are outside now. We put them out after reading your post. Still in brooder to get seen and to see before letting them loose.

Afte a day or so, adjust your brooder so that the chicks can get out of it, and back into it, without the older birds following. If it is box like, with a top, take the top off, turn it upside down, on a couple of bricks. High enough the chicks can move in and out of from multiple directions with ease, but an old biddy chasing them cannot.

What you want is a safety zone that the chicks can explore out of, and retreat back into as needed. This lets the flock integrate on their terms, not human terms. When you set it up, let the big girls out of the run. Then sit down there quietly and wait for some chick to get brave. Let them come out a bit, and give them a mock chase back into the safety zone.

When I do this, the chicks are accepted in a week.

Good luck,

MRs K

Afte a day or so, adjust your brooder so that the chicks can get out of it, and back into it, without the older birds following. If it is box like, with a top, take the top off, turn it upside down, on a couple of bricks. High enough the chicks can move in and out of from multiple directions with ease, but an old biddy chasing them cannot.

What you want is a safety zone that the chicks can explore out of, and retreat back into as needed. This lets the flock integrate on their terms, not human terms. When you set it up, let the big girls out of the run. Then sit down there quietly and wait for some chick to get brave. Let them come out a bit, and give them a mock chase back into the safety zone.

When I do this, the chicks are accepted in a week.

Good luck,

MRs K
Gotcha! Thank you for this.

If they were in a much larger space, I think they would calm down.
What a difference days make. Now the babies are following me all around the yard. :gig Walking over my toes (without pecking). There is one that seem sooo long and tall I am wondering if a cockarel. One seems to have no comb at all; tried to get up close pics. Gonna post in another area; see what folk think.

Attachments

• image000001(19).jpg
    image000001(19).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image000000(57).jpg
    image000000(57).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom