Our first loss to a hawk

snailpenguin

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
I think I'm mostly posting for moral support, commiseration, and reassurance that I'll get over this feeling of shock and loss. I know this comes with the territory when free ranging and mentally have been preparing myself for about a 10% flock attrition annually, but maybe I'm kidding myself and I grew attached.

Today, we lost our first pullet. We're only 9 weeks into this chicken experiment and have really only just started free ranging our 6 girls for longer periods of the day unsupervised. I'm kicking myself that I started giving them so much freedom so soon, but they were enjoying themselves so much compared to the boring run and coop...

Our best guess is that a cooper's hawk got her. One was stalking the property this afternoon as we were searching for remains, but there's zero evidence left behind. Our 5 remaining girls were cowering appropriately under one of their favorite low, dense trees and the local birds were all freaking, too. We got them locked away in their run and are planning to keep them there for the next few days, but how do I get the guts to let them out again?

Our run is way overengineered and predator proof, but it's so boring compared to our yard. Half the reason we're keeping chickens is for their tick eating responsibilities and that's lost if they're cooped up. Our yard itself has plenty of cover--mostly woods with plenty of ferns, long grasses and low trees and shrubs, picnic table and things to hide under in the limited open lawn areas.

The chicken that was taken was our dumbest one. She wouldn't typically take cover with the others when top-chicken would make warning noises. She was also our most adventurous, curious, least camouflaged, and liked to eat in the middle of the lawn. I figured with her (lack of) instincts, she'd be someone's prey someday, but not so soon!

How do I find the nerve to let them roam again? Should I wait til they are older? Will they hopefully have learned from this experience? Would a rooster really improve their odds? (Our neighbor's rooster is super obnoxious, so I'm reluctant to get one.)

Thanks in advance 😟

One was stalking the property this afternoon as we were searching for remains, but there's zero evidence left behind.

That means you are not certain that it was a hawk. Neither am I. :idunno
The predator could have been a fox, coyote, or bobcat just as easily. It may have been a hawk, but not the Cooper. Cooper hawks are somewhat small and do not carry away chickens that easily. I would assume it would kill, and consume nearby. A raccoon, though not a frequent daytime hunter, would also not carry away very far. There would also be evidence left behind.
An eagle,,,,, yes, that one would have capabilities to land, and carry away.
Just because you see a predator, does not mean it is the one guilty.

Your grounds described, sound like there are hiding places available from flying raptors. I would still allow chickens to free-range, but in the next few days, keep some supervision. You may get a clue as to which predator it is that did the stealing.
Being better informed, will allow you to make better safety decisions.
:hugssorry to hear of your loss.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I am sorry that happened. I hate it when I lose my chickens to anything. We have chicken hawks. I have 22 chickens. They have a large fenced area to graze around in but I have put netting over the entire area. I made t-posts out of 1 and 1/2 inch pvc pipes to hold the netting up around the yard. I would otherwise lose them to hawks. I just can't be out there all the time to watch them. Now if I can just keep the raccoons under control. We have eliminated 19 coons so far this summer. My chickens are just now starting to lay and I am not about to let anything kill them off if I can help it. I would love to let them completely free range but I would lose them. Those hawks will swoop down and boom, the chicken is gone. I have one rooster (who is not obnoxious thankfully) and I think they help warn and do what they can but it is not a guarantee of safety.

That means you are not certain that it was a hawk. Neither am I. :idunno
The predator could have been a fox, coyote, or bobcat just as easily. It may have been a hawk, but not the Cooper. Cooper hawks are somewhat small and do not carry away chickens that easily. I would assume it would kill, and consume nearby. A raccoon, though not a frequent daytime hunter, would also not carry away very far. There would also be evidence left behind.
An eagle,,,,, yes, that one would have capabilities to land, and carry away.
Just because you see a predator, does not mean it is the one guilty.

Hmm..You're right, I hadn't really considered other predators because of the presence of the hawk. We have 6ft chain link or wooden privacy fence around the rest of our property (I do realize that doesn't keep out critters, but I figured it'd make it more likely I'd see the carcass or feathers or some evidence of a dust up around the perimeter, since it would need to carry it over/under) and we live in the suburbs, so bobcats would be a shocker. We don't even have a raccoon problem in the area, judging by how relaxed everyone is with garbage with no issues...Could a neighbor's house cat be at fault? In the past, the Cooper hawk and foxes have been what decimated our frog pond. We are getting cameras setup, so at least it will be easier to get answers in the future...

I'll definitely be supervising their outside time in the near future, and I guess looking for ways to make the run more stimulating.

I am sorry that happened. I hate it when I lose my chickens to anything. We have chicken hawks. I have 22 chickens. They have a large fenced area to graze around in but I have put netting over the entire area. I made t-posts out of 1 and 1/2 inch pvc pipes to hold the netting up around the yard. I would otherwise lose them to hawks. I just can't be out there all the time to watch them. Now if I can just keep the raccoons under control. We have eliminated 19 coons so far this summer. My chickens are just now starting to lay and I am not about to let anything kill them off if I can help it. I would love to let them completely free range but I would lose them. Those hawks will swoop down and boom, the chicken is gone. I have one rooster (who is not obnoxious thankfully) and I think they help warn and do what they can but it is not a guarantee of safety.

If I get too nervous, I may end up making a modular PVC + netting mobile run to move about, but I really want to keep them "at work" doing bug clean up and weeding around the whole property, if I can. Do you use the expensive bird netting? Or do you get by with something else? I have a ton of deer netting on hand that I use around my veggie gardens.

Could a neighbor's house cat be at fault?
Very unlikely. I have cats and none of them bother any of my chickens. I have small Seramas as well as other banties.
That does not mean that all cats are angels:mad:,,,,,,, but your neighbor's cat, while capable of possibly killing a chicken would not carry it off without a trace.

A fox can clear a 6 foot fence without even touching it. After my flock was decimated by a family of foxes, my girls are never going to free range unless I'm present. I'd rather have them alive than risk it.

I've had raccoons and fox attack my girls, and they always left behind proof, usually a pile of feathers. Since you have no disaster site, I'm thinking it may be a hawk or something similar.

If I get too nervous, I may end up making a modular PVC + netting mobile run to move about, but I really want to keep them "at work" doing bug clean up and weeding around the whole property, if I can. Do you use the expensive bird netting? Or do you get by with something else? I have a ton of deer netting on hand that I use around my veggie gardens.
I ending up buying 50 x 50 feet netting designed for birds, poultry, etc. It is 2 inch squares. It seems to last so far. The light, flaky snow goes through it. If we have a wet, heavy snow it sometimes accumulates and I have to go out there and knock the snow off. For all the effort to put it up you want to make sure it is strong enough to go through the seasons.

Im sorry for ur loss....we only have foxes really to contend with and occ dog or cat in England must be hard as i know personally u cant watch them all the time isnt ur fault 💖💖

Back
Top Bottom