Over Scalded, is the meat still okay?

HeatherBell007

In the Brooder
May 18, 2021
I processed 50 birds over the weekend. This was our first time. A few times the water got to hot before we realized it and we over scalded a few birds. I wonder if anyone can tell me if these birds are still going to taste good, and will they freeze okay. Thanks!

The birds and meat should be fine to eat and freeze. The problem with over scalding is appearance. When you pluck the skin can tear or, if you overdo it, you can get a bit of color change. The color change should not matter when you cook it but people tend not not like torn skin and can be put off by color change when it is still raw.

The birds and meat should be fine to eat and freeze. The problem with over scalding is appearance. When you pluck the skin can tear or, if you overdo it, you can get a bit of color change. The color change should not matter when you cook it but people tend not not like torn skin and can be put off by color change when it is still raw.
Thank you! I was hoping for this answer. :) I think we goofed like five birds. So I would have been very sad to have to toss them.

^^^ What @Ridgerunner said. Helpful provider of excellent backyard poultry cooking advice. My own experience (too recent, I admit) agrees - and I've never even considered doing that many birds in a day.
We were kind of thrown into it. The place we had booked to process our chickens lost power during a big storm and had to push us another week. Since the birds were at 11 weeks already I just didnt think it was a good idea to wait any longer. So we took the plunge, gathered up the equipment and did it ourselves (with help from friends). I'm so glad we finally did it. I had been putting it off because of cost and fear. So any who... our choice would not have been to do 50 all at once either. :) But it was a rewarding experience even if it was exhausting. lol!

I did three yesterday. By hand. No scalder, just blistering hot water from the outdoor shower after I reset the on demand thermometer. Water temp was 137 at the shower head. Not quite hot enough.

Did a 14 month old CornishX, a 17 week cockerel, and a 6 month Pekin - first two were disrobed, only the Pekin kept his skin on. Still took 1/3 of the day.

Don't have the freezer space to do more birds at a time than that.

We found 150 degrees was the perfect temp, but we purchased a yardbird plucker! I could not imagine doing 50 chicken by hand. holy cow! lol! I'm not sure I could even imagine 1! ;)
How good are cockrels? do you have to cook them any different? We might have a few in our new batch of egg layers and really only want one, if any.

Back
Top Bottom