Overdose of Amoxicillin?

Stephoney

Songster
Apr 7, 2021
I did something very foolish tonight. I gave my black Ameraucana, Hilde, 500 mg of amoxicillin instead of 250. She’s around 5 pounds so she should have gotten half of that over the day. I was starting her on a first dose and realized a few minutes afterwards that I had given her too much. Will she be okay? I know that amoxicillin is a pretty safe antibiotic, but I’m not sure if it will cause her too much stress on her kidneys. Any idea?

Well, she made it through the night okay and was griping to be let out of her coop this morning. I’ve been at work all day, but she came right up to eat when I put out yogurt this afternoon with watermelon and blueberries and was bathing with her sister, Tilde, when I got home. She was wheezing last night without any nasal (or eye) discharge and was withdrawn. The night before she went into the coop early by an hour ahead of everyone else which was odd. I medicated her last night to be on the safe side since it seemed like a pretty noticeable progression. She’s not laying eggs this year so I wasn’t worried about that. Today she’s not wheezing and seems to be more like herself. I’m glad to see that I didn’t do any permanent damage with my heavy antibiotic hand. Back to the normal dosage for the next 6 days!

Back
Top Bottom