Overly affectionate turkey! Trying to comfort me. <3

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I decided I should post about this amazing rescue Turkey that I have since she is so special....

The last few weeks have been a real struggle for me and my family. We got covid... I don't show any major symptoms but my mom, dad and my cousin all got it pretty bad. My cousin had to go to the hospital. He was throwing up (he also has severe diabetes)and stuff so we took him to the ER. Then... the next day my dad passed out. I freaked out. He had to go to the ER. Good thing he did cause it turns out he has pneumonia. My mom is still sick and I have Corona but feel normal for the most part. I have been taking on ALL the household chores lately, feeding/watering animals and cleaning pens... now I'm starting to get little hives on my stomach (which can be caused by Corona) and I'm getting occasional migraines. Anyways.... it has been a rough couple weeks like I said. Yesterday after we took my dad to the ER I came home to find my female emu dead and that BROKE MY HEART! I cry pretty much everytime I go in the backyard. My birds are literally my best friends so losing one tears me apart. :( I don't know what happened to my emu. I checked for bite marks and stuff but found nothing. She was about a year and a half. Her name was Echo. After finding my emu I just fell to my knees heartbroken. I sat there beside my poor Echo for a good 30 minutes before I was able to even move her. I am still SO UPSET. I walked out this morning to check my animals and brought my emu Blu a treat. I got out there and saw my boy Blu standing there alone and I started balling again. I went and sat on a milk crate in the backyard and just cried. Now about that turkey.... this Turkey is a rescue that I got from someone who found out she was a meat breed after having her for months. She didn't want to butcher her so she gave her to me. I told her I would just let her live the rest of her life here and treat her as a pet. That is exactly what I am doing. I haven't had this Turkey long. Only had her a couple of weeks and she has never really been affectionate. However yesterday while I was sitting on the milk crate crying... I felt something brush up against my leg... I look over and this Turkey is standing beside me... no big deal right? I ignored the Turkey for a moment and then this bird walks in front of me and I swear it layed it's head on my lap.... I was a bit confused since I have never had a Turkey be so affectionate on it's own without having to handle them alot.... I continued ignoring her because I was super upset. She refused to let me ignore her so she flew up ON MY SHOULDER and sat there like a parrot. Obviously I could no longer ignore her so I tried petting her and to my surprise she actually let me. After she got off my shoulder she walked up in front of me and got in my lap. I don't know why she is being so sweet all of a sudden. It's like she realizes I am going through alot and she wants to comfort me or something.... she had never been this interested in me before she is usually a bit skiddish but now she just sticks by my side.... walks with me, perches on my shoulder, sits in my lap, talks to me like I'm a turkey... she is literally a whole different Turkey. We had no bond. I barely knew her but since my emu passed she has acted totally different with me. She acts like we have always been best buds. I absolutely adore her. She knew I needed someone to comfort me. Has anyone out there had a Turkey go from being skiddish to being your best buddy? I just thing she is so special. Please excuse my weird self in the pictures. 😂 Just focus on the cute Turkey. If anybody knows what breed she is feel free to comment. I assume she is a BBB cross?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210726-074733_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-074733_Snapchat.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20210726-074722_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-074722_Snapchat.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20210726-080645_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-080645_Snapchat.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20210726-074727_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-074727_Snapchat.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20210726-080458_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-080458_Snapchat.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20210726-074651_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-074651_Snapchat.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20210726-080501_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-080501_Snapchat.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20210726-074716_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-074716_Snapchat.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20210726-080639_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-080639_Snapchat.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20210726-074719_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-074719_Snapchat.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20210726-080641_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-080641_Snapchat.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20210726-080503_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-080503_Snapchat.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20210726-074710_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-074710_Snapchat.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20210726-080506_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-080506_Snapchat.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 57
Very cute story and very beautiful turkey! Mine have helped me with a lot of anxiety and depression since I've had them.

She is either maybe a BBB/Heritage mix or she may be full heritage. Her legs dont seem that far apart and she doesnt seem that heavy. She is most likely a mottled variety of some sort.

I decided I should post about this amazing rescue Turkey that I have since she is so special....

The last few weeks have been a real struggle for me and my family. We got covid... I don't show any major symptoms but my mom, dad and my cousin all got it pretty bad. My cousin had to go to the hospital. He was throwing up (he also has severe diabetes)and stuff so we took him to the ER. Then... the next day my dad passed out. I freaked out. He had to go to the ER. Good thing he did cause it turns out he has pneumonia. My mom is still sick and I have Corona but feel normal for the most part. I have been taking on ALL the household chores lately, feeding/watering animals and cleaning pens... now I'm starting to get little hives on my stomach (which can be caused by Corona) and I'm getting occasional migraines. Anyways.... it has been a rough couple weeks like I said. Yesterday after we took my dad to the ER I came home to find my female emu dead and that BROKE MY HEART! I cry pretty much everytime I go in the backyard. My birds are literally my best friends so losing one tears me apart. :( I don't know what happened to my emu. I checked for bite marks and stuff but found nothing. She was about a year and a half. Her name was Echo. After finding my emu I just fell to my knees heartbroken. I sat there beside my poor Echo for a good 30 minutes before I was able to even move her. I am still SO UPSET. I walked out this morning to check my animals and brought my emu Blu a treat. I got out there and saw my boy Blu standing there alone and I started balling again. I went and sat on a milk crate in the backyard and just cried. Now about that turkey.... this Turkey is a rescue that I got from someone who found out she was a meat breed after having her for months. She didn't want to butcher her so she gave her to me. I told her I would just let her live the rest of her life here and treat her as a pet. That is exactly what I am doing. I haven't had this Turkey long. Only had her a couple of weeks and she has never really been affectionate. However yesterday while I was sitting on the milk crate crying... I felt something brush up against my leg... I look over and this Turkey is standing beside me... no big deal right? I ignored the Turkey for a moment and then this bird walks in front of me and I swear it layed it's head on my lap.... I was a bit confused since I have never had a Turkey be so affectionate on it's own without having to handle them alot.... I continued ignoring her because I was super upset. She refused to let me ignore her so she flew up ON MY SHOULDER and sat there like a parrot. Obviously I could no longer ignore her so I tried petting her and to my surprise she actually let me. After she got off my shoulder she walked up in front of me and got in my lap. I don't know why she is being so sweet all of a sudden. It's like she realizes I am going through alot and she wants to comfort me or something.... she had never been this interested in me before she is usually a bit skiddish but now she just sticks by my side.... walks with me, perches on my shoulder, sits in my lap, talks to me like I'm a turkey... she is literally a whole different Turkey. We had no bond. I barely knew her but since my emu passed she has acted totally different with me. She acts like we have always been best buds. I absolutely adore her. She knew I needed someone to comfort me. Has anyone out there had a Turkey go from being skiddish to being your best buddy? I just thing she is so special. Please excuse my weird self in the pictures. 😂 Just focus on the cute Turkey. If anybody knows what breed she is feel free to comment. I assume she
This is a great story hun. This is a normal behavior not just in turkeys but not all animals are in touch with human feelings. It takes a very special animal and you have just that animal. It's great when humans and animals can connect this way. I'm not sure who is the luckiest when this happens. The human or the animal. 🥰

I have pet turkeys and some of them have been very affectionate. I’m glad your Turkey has you. They are such cool pets! Looking at you pictures though, I’m thinking your Turkey is a male.

Oh my goodness. This story made my day. Made my eyes misty. Turkeys can be very affectionate and intuitive!
As for variety, I don’t know a whole lot about the varieties I don’t own. However, for some reason sweetgrass pops in my head when I look at your hen. I could be totally off mark there kiddo. But @R2elk would know. He’s always my Turkey go to for questions about anything related.
Enjoy your sweet Turkey and I’m sorry for your loss. I know that heartache well unfortunately.

The last few weeks have been a real struggle for me and my family. We got covid... I don't show any major symptoms but my mom, dad and my cousin all got it pretty bad. My cousin had to go to the hospital. He was throwing up (he also has severe diabetes)and stuff so we took him to the ER. Then... the next day my dad passed out. I freaked out. He had to go to the ER. Good thing he did cause it turns out he has pneumonia. My mom is still sick and I have Corona but feel normal for the most part. I have been taking on ALL the household chores lately, feeding/watering animals and cleaning pens... now I'm starting to get little hives on my stomach (which can be caused by Corona) and I'm getting occasional migraines. Anyways.... it has been a rough couple weeks like I said. Yesterday after we took my dad to the ER I came home to find my female emu dead and that BROKE MY HEART! I cry pretty much everytime I go in the backyard. My birds are literally my best friends so losing one tears me apart. :( I don't know what happened to my emu. I checked for bite marks and stuff but found nothing. She was about a year and a half. Her name was Echo. After finding my emu I just fell to my knees heartbroken. I sat there beside my poor Echo for a good 30 minutes before I was able to even move her. I am still SO UPSET. I walked out this morning to check my animals and brought my emu Blu a treat. I got out there and saw my boy Blu standing there alone and I started balling again. I went and sat on a milk crate in the backyard and just cried. Now about that turkey.... this Turkey is a rescue that I got from someone who found out she was a meat breed after having her for months. She didn't want to butcher her so she gave her to me. I told her I would just let her live the rest of her life here and treat her as a pet. That is exactly what I am doing. I haven't had this Turkey long. Only had her a couple of weeks and she has never really been affectionate. However yesterday while I was sitting on the milk crate crying... I felt something brush up against my leg... I look over and this Turkey is standing beside me... no big deal right? I ignored the Turkey for a moment and then this bird walks in front of me and I swear it layed it's head on my lap.... I was a bit confused since I have never had a Turkey be so affectionate on it's own without having to handle them alot.... I continued ignoring her because I was super upset. She refused to let me ignore her so she flew up ON MY SHOULDER and sat there like a parrot. Obviously I could no longer ignore her so I tried petting her and to my surprise she actually let me. After she got off my shoulder she walked up in front of me and got in my lap. I don't know why she is being so sweet all of a sudden. It's like she realizes I am going through alot and she wants to comfort me or something.... she had never been this interested in me before she is usually a bit skiddish but now she just sticks by my side.... walks with me, perches on my shoulder, sits in my lap, talks to me like I'm a turkey... she is literally a whole different Turkey. We had no bond. I barely knew her but since my emu passed she has acted totally different with me. She acts like we have always been best buds. I absolutely adore her. She knew I needed someone to comfort me. Has anyone out there had a Turkey go from being skiddish to being your best buddy? I just thing she is so special. Please excuse my weird self in the pictures. 😂 Just focus on the cute Turkey. If anybody knows what breed she is feel free to comment. I assume she is a BBB cross?
Your story warmed my heart ! I just lost
My best turkey in the world crash! Yes they love to be sang, petted, loved, spoken to just like one of us ! I love the sweet personality that they have . She was my everything ! Enjoy your super special bond with her ! She won’t do it with no one else like she loves you

Back
Top Bottom