Overnight Watering Solutions

We actually use heated dog bowls in the coop at night (helps a lot during winter). We have 7 ducks and have 2 bowls. The water is step on top of some bricks, so it's slightly elevated. They definitely get a splash zone in the area right around the bowl (water dripples off their bills) but the rest of the coop is nice and dry. It's still low enough so they can dunk their whole face in, too, if they want.

I have the same problem as every other duck owner in the world. Keeping them watered without having to change the bedding every dang day. I only need to water overnight because they have free access to a creek and small pond during the day. They get food at night to bribe them into their coop. I'm thinking, since it's night time, if I can section off a small part of their coop just for food and water, would a large dog bowl work? They'll (hopefully) be sleeping most of the time, and I usually let everyone out fairly early. It'll be 12 ducklings, once everyone is big enough to go out, then whittled down to one Drake and the hens by winter. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm looking for something I can pick up or make ourselves. Thanks!
Is it just a coop or is there also a secure enclosure in which the coop is located?

Will they be fine in their duck house overnight without food/water? I’ve read a bunch of places to not put it in the house b/c of the mess and attracting pests into the sleeping area. Just offer free access to both in the run when they aren’t locked up for the night in the house?

I always give them some water but use a pretty high sided stainless steel pail that all they can do is drink from if they are thirsty and want to put the effort in. (in the winter I have a defroster that is inside that as well) Then I put that bowl in a larger dog dish with high sides in case they do get ambitious. That rarely happens but there is often a bit of water that is caught by the below bowl. Never any on the coop floor.

I always give them some water but use a pretty high sided stainless steel pail that all they can do is drink from if they are thirsty and want to put the effort in. (in the winter I have a defroster that is inside that as well) Then I put that bowl in a larger dog dish with high sides in case they do get ambitious. That rarely happens but there is often a bit of water that is caught by the below bowl. Never any on the coop floor.
Could you share a photo of your watering setup 😃

Back
Top Bottom