Overprotective Goat

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
I have a Nigerian dwarf goat that is severely overprotective of me. She attacked my puppy the other day and could’ve very well have broken his shoulder. Don’t worry. Puppy is fine. But this isn’t the first time this has happened. My previous dog also had to keep a sharp eye out because man her hackles would go up and she would chase him off. Today she threatened my sweet pig who was out snacking with the chickens with a rear and a flash of horns. She even followed around my young cockerel (who was very shy) who I was introducing to the flock with a hostile air. She had a herd mate however she died of SGDS. But she acted like this before her friend died but it wasn’t directed at me. It used to be her chickens and sometimes her herd mate. But now she’ll stand defensively in front of me if my dogs come down to the barn and try to butt them. Why?

Goats will attack dogs because to them the dogs are an enemy. Dogs are predators and goats are prey. The goats of a friend of mine cornered her Australian Shepherd and if she hadn't come out to the barn when she did the goats would have succeeded in killing the dog. Heaven knows they were sure trying.

Goats will attack dogs because to them the dogs are an enemy. Dogs are predators and goats are prey. The goats of a friend of mine cornered her Australian Shepherd and if she hadn't come out to the barn when she did the goats would have succeeded in killing the dog. Heaven knows they were sure trying.
But see, she doesn’t mind the dogs that live just outside her stall who are nearly three times bigger than my puppy. Note she also butted my dads friend for no reason. It’s not limited to dogs.

I think I may know what the problem is but I am not sure how to fix it. I think your goat views you as a member of her herd and that she, not you, is head goat. I never had that problem with my goats. From an early age my goats all knew I was chief goat. I am not sure now how I got that across, but I did.

I think I may know what the problem is but I am not sure how to fix it. I think your goat views you as a member of her herd and that she, not you, is head goat. I never had that problem with my goats. From an early age my goats all knew I was chief goat. I am not sure now how I got that across, but I did.
I’m not sure if that’s the case. I think if she thought she were head, she would try and bully me around which she doesn’t. She follows me around like a...well....dog. If I go out of her eyesight, she bleets until I let her know where I am. Like if I’m at the barn, she won’t go out and graze. She will run after me and pick up a few leaves on the way. I think part of it is because she’s lonely but the overprotectiveness is not new.

She may think of you as her baby. That is almost as bad. I know. I have been "adopted" before. Only my "mothers" screamed bloody murder when I left the barn. If this is an only goat you really need to see if you can get another. It may not solve your problem but the goat would be happier.

She may think of you as her baby. That is almost as bad. I know. I have been "adopted" before. Only my "mothers" screamed bloody murder when I left the barn. If this is an only goat you really need to see if you can get another. It may not solve your problem but the goat would be happier.
I know she needs a friend. Her original died of idk. With the situation we’re in right now my mom doesn’t think it’s wise to get any more animals for the moment.

I don’t know...I’m just not sure that’s what it is. When we first purchased her, she was very skittish and hadn’t ever been handled. I struggled for a long time for her to allow me to touch her (that was a very big day for me). And now she’s like “love me peasant”.

Back
Top Bottom