Overweight chickens

That's good food! Your boys are so handsome! The feeder is a chick feeder, but for 3 roosters it will work. You could put it up on a concrete block to make it easier for them to eat out of it. Good job!
I did set it up on a block. Should I leave it in with them all the time or will they overeat?

So much space! They look like happy roosters!

Food looks good also, have they tried it out yet? I would try to free range as much as you can until they slim down a bit.
Yes they seemed to like the food! They have good space but I don’t get home until late when I work sometimes and sadly they haven’t been able to free range as much as they got to in the summer

Yes they seemed to like the food! They have good space but I don’t get home until late when I work sometimes and sadly they haven’t been able to free range as much as they got to in the summer

Do they have a run? I like to dump a giant pile of fall leaves in my run, and toss in a hand full of scratch so they stay active digging for their treat. You can try some of the ideas here too! It’ll keep them busy!

I did set it up on a block. Should I leave it in with them all the time or will they overeat?
They won't overeat. It's great that you've got them out on grass. They will get lots of exercise that way. I let my birds eat free choice, meaning the food is available to them all day. Now that you've got them on a good diet, their weight should improve as well as their overall health.

Again, good job!

They look great to me. Not hybrid meat birds. You've got the right food now so don't worry about their weight. Just keep doing what you are doing. You don't need to restrict their food at all. Keep it in the run. They don't need it in the coop during the night, that's all.

I would cut down the daily intake and give them lots of water with apple cider vinegar so that they can burn of some weight. However some breeds are made to be bigger what breeds do you have?
Why apple cider vinegar? There's no scientific backing that it makes them lose weight.

I noticed my chickens are getting very fat. They’re 7 months now and sadly I can’t let them free range as much as they used to due being back at work, so I usually let them out around 4-5 and they stay out until dark.

I feed them what we call chop.. which is just corn and have been leaving it in their run all day and night with water. I also feed them some sunflower kernels as a snack a lot and then they’ll eat some scraps.

I noticed my one little guy is having trouble walking because his butt is so big now! They’re all getting hefty and it scares me because I know it can be unhealthy.

any suggestions? And what do you feed your chickens and what brand and how often?
You should stop feeding them this kind of high energy, high carbs, high fat foods. Layer pellets are good but my hens don't like it so I give them layer mash, a mix of whole grains, protein and calcium. As treats I give them chopped cauliflower leaves and low fat ricotta or cottage cheese. Sunflowers and cracked corn can make them fat.
P.S. only now I saw you have only roosters. Why? I thought that you had laying hens like most of us. Are they pets or for meat? If for meat, it doesn't matter if they're fat or overweight. For laying hens, not so good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom