Owl attack

When I had a juvenile Great Horned Owl stalking my ducks, I called the county conservation office, which put me in contact with the closest Department of Natural Resources officer. He came out and removed the owl while I kept watch on its every move. Even a juvey Great Horned can be dangerous. Once it was captured, it just laid on its back in his truck, glaring and with its talons ready to rip us apart.

Keep us posted and keep those chickens SAFE!
This is a Great Horned that I’m dealing with as well.

May I ask how you caught it?
It was purely an accident. I put some good heavy duty netting up over my pens but was short so I bought some other netting that turned out to be crappy. I thought it would still deter any aerial predators and it did for awhile. A GHO went through the crappy netting and killed some birds more than once. I replaced the crappy netting with another piece of the crappy netting because that was all I had at the time and the owl went through it again. I moved the birds to another coop and replaced the crappy netting with some good netting. The owl tried to go through the good netting and got caught. We managed to get it into a cage.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20200229_133038.jpg

Cats, dogs, weasels, rats, minks, squirrels, rabbits, hawks, birds, ground hogs, snakes, skunks, raccoons and foxes are killed by Owls. Fortunately they hunt at night when the chickens are roosting
Unfortunately he went for my chickens a total of EIGHT times at night while they were roosting instead of the 6853 rabbits, foxes, possums, raccoons, squirrels, hawks, and I’m sure snakes right there in my back yard. He even came back twice in broad daylight (10AM) the following morning. He killed my best girl. The one that actually loved me.

How horrible! I would think it's unlikely the owl took two birds and came back.

Thank goodness Shirley and Elizabeth are okay, although traumatized, I'm sure. It will likely take them some time to feel secure again.

Without evidence that they didn't, I would hope that Grady and Estelle made it out alive. I would search for them and hope the sound of my voice and the promise of treats would bring them out from hiding if they are out there.

I don't know how your coop was entered, but it sounds like some serious predator-proofing is in order as soon as possible.

I hope this works out in the best way possible, and I am sorry for the loss of Edith.

Hurray for Grady and Estelle! And for you!

Coop sounds like it will protect from most predators. Mink, I learned from the ONE time I forgot to close the coop, can get through 1-inch spaces. It was a tough lesson to learn and cost me three hens, but I am now meticulous about making sure everyone is securely locked in at night.

Hope you and your chickens are able to relax and recover soon.
A Great White Owl can't get inside chain link and chicken wire but weasels and minks can.
Unfortunately he went for my chickens a total of EIGHT times at night while they were roosting instead of the 6853 rabbits, foxes, possums, raccoons, squirrels, hawks, and I’m sure snakes right there in my back yard. He even came back twice in broad daylight (10AM) the following morning. He killed my best girl. The one that actually loved me.
My condolences ! Super glad you found your rooster and hen safe and hope they're doing fine! Please keep an eye out for the owl if you free range.I recommend you consider using 1/2" hardware cloth on your coop and run Coons can reach their paws inside chicken wire and dismember chickens close to the wire .Minks and weasels,snakes and rats can go thru it.

Back
Top Bottom