Pale comb, getting picked on just out of molt

RN chicken mom

Hatching
Jan 21, 2023
I am new to BYC so please excuse me if this has been answered. I have a 1.5 yr old hen that just finished her molt and before molt had no problems. Now the other chickens are picking on her, they don't let her eat, and her comb is pale. Otherwise she looks fine maybe a slight limp but nothing to impeded her from walking and participating with chicken life. She was middle of the pack before her molt. I can't identify what is going
on. I try to let the chickens our daily so she can eat without getting picked on but my daughters dog is here 1/2 time and her would just as much play with them...roughly. so they are confined to the coop and run when he is here. I have a covered coop with 6 nesting boxes, a covered enclosed roosting area, then a covered roost where food and water are and a fenced-in old wood swing set that is now the run. I let them out to free range about 2-3x week when dog is not here. I live in the middle of michigan.. any ideas as to why my chicken is being outed ? Worried she is going to develop a sickness or be hurt by other chickens

Last edited:
Her pale comb is an indication to your other flock that there's something wrong with her. Make sure you have several feeding stations away from each other to allow the bullied hen to eat.

Molting can be a time when they may be picked on more due to weakness, but it also can be a time when an illness might occur. Her comb may still be pale if she is just getting over a molt and not yet laying. Is she eating and drinking? I would encourage her to eat some high protein treats (eggs, tuna,) and wet some chicken feed for interest. Can you put the dog in the house or fence it off from the chickens safely? Some chickens may be really scared of dogs or other animals around them.

Thank you. The chickens are kept in the enclosed coop & run when dog is here. I will try some additional feeding stations and high protein treats. I do give them scratch grains about every other day and occasionally black oil sunflower seed & dry cat food once in a great while. (1x this year for cat food) when the girls are free-range they have
access to the wild bird food cause I feed the birds regularly. They get fresh food 2-3 x week as in cut offs from peppers, lettuces, squash, etc. Thank you for the tips

Back
Top Bottom