Partially Paralyzed

Rottie6868

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
Hello

Can you please help with my 4 yo khaki Campbell. About 6 weeks ago she became wobbly for about a week then the one morning she suddenly became paralyzed in her left wing and left leg.
She has been cooped alone but still near her family. Her stool is normal not bright green. She is showing very slight improvement and can get her leg back under her and can somewhat walk again but is far from better.
She is my second duck with these symptoms. The first duck started out the same and she became weaker and weaker she became skin and bones. So thin that the fell from one foot off the ground and it broke her chest bone. 😓
I was feeding blue seal multi flock and changed to Purina duck when my second duck became sick. I also sprinkle nutritional yeast on her duck pellets.
I tried adding activated charcoal to her water for about a week.
Is there anyone out there that has experienced this with their ducks?
Please help!
Thank you
3D1DD439-C068-4CAA-8C60-63FD685D81A3.jpeg

I'm sorry to your duck is having problems.

I see you already have her in her own little pen. You did well there.

For supportive care, you'll want her in a warm area, as sick birds generally eat less, which lowers their metabolic energy levels, which can lead to a lowered body temp, and possibly hypothermia. Tomorrow morning, I would start weighing her on a gram scale, to get a good idea of how much weight she is losing, or gaining. This will ultimately help you determine the severity of her problem, and when you need to intervene and tube feed.

Even if she seems to be drinking well, continuedly try to encourage her to drink water, and if needed drip sugar water, or an electrotype like Gatorade along her bill.

As far as the weight loss, and paralysis. Those types of signs are fairly nonspecific, and may be seen with several conditions, but one that might peak my interest would be internal parasites. If you could have fecal float done that would be good, but if you can't, go to your feed store, pick up either SafeGaurd Liquid goat dewormer, or Valbazen, and dose her with either one to rule out worms.

The dose for SafeGaurd, is 0.23ml per pound, once a day for five days.

The dose for Valbazen, is 0.08ml per pound, once, then again inf tend days. There are egg withdrawals for both drugs.

If she doesn't show improvement to either one, I may start her on antibiotic like Baytril to rule out infection, such as Colibacillosis, Pasteurella Multicoda, etc.

I'm sorry to your duck is having problems.

I see you already have her in her own little pen. You did well there.

For supportive care, you'll want her in a warm area, as sick birds generally eat less, which lowers their metabolic energy levels, which can lead to a lowered body temp, and possibly hypothermia. Tomorrow morning, I would start weighing her on a gram scale, to get a good idea of how much weight she is losing, or gaining. This will ultimately help you determine the severity of her problem, and when you need to intervene and tube feed.

Even if she seems to be drinking well, continuedly try to encourage her to drink water, and if needed drip sugar water, or an electrotype like Gatorade along her bill.

As far as the weight loss, and paralysis. Those types of signs are fairly nonspecific, and may be seen with several conditions, but one that might peak my interest would be internal parasites. If you could have fecal float done that would be good, but if you can't, go to your feed store, pick up either SafeGaurd Liquid goat dewormer, or Valbazen, and dose her with either one to rule out worms.

The dose for SafeGaurd, is 0.23ml per pound, once a day for five days.

The dose for Valbazen, is 0.08ml per pound, once, then again inf tend days. There are egg withdrawals for both drugs.

If she doesn't show improvement to either one, I may start her on antibiotic like Baytril to rule out infection, such as Colibacillosis, Pasteurella Multicoda, etc.
Thank you so much for your reply. I began giving safeguard goat today. I weighed her at 3#11oz I am dosing her at .75cc. Please let me know if you think my dose is not correct.
have a great day!

Thank you so much for your reply. I began giving safeguard goat today. I weighed her at 3#11oz I am dosing her at .75cc. Please let me know if you think my dose is not correct.
have a great day!
I have not noticed any changes yet. She does seem to be a little stronger than over the past few weeks. Thanks for asking

Three pounds and eleven ounces is equal to 3.6 pounds.

So, 0.23 x 3.6 = around 0.8ml per pound.

In regards to her weight. That is very light for a duck her age, I would highly suggest weighing her daily you ensure she's not losing much more, so you know when, and if you need to implement supplemental tube feeding.

If continues to ack as she is now, even after using the dewormer, it would be best to take her into a vet, so they can diagnostic testing, like radiographs to see if she has heavy metal in her lining, which could cause paralysis, and emaciation. If you can't see a vet, starting her on an antibiotic to rule out an infection of sorts may be good. Sometimes when supplies are limited you have to treat on an elimination basis.

Have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom