Parts for Little Giant waterers CHEAP

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
For any of you who have the Little Giant plastic waterer by Miller Mfg and need replacement parts:
I've just been searching for new bases
453178-800-auto

for two of mine (split and cracked) and new O-rings and caps
453196-800-auto

Most sites didn't have any available, my local farm stores don't have any, Amazon's cheapest at $25.99, even E-Bay's lowest price was $19.99 (had one only). I kept searching.

I found the waterer base at Jeffers Pet for $9.99.
O-rings and cap replacement parts $3.99
https://www.jefferspet.com/replacement-water-base-for-items-m3-pf-m3-pg-m3-ph/p?skuId=33677

By the way, why do they always say you can't use a plastic waterer on a heated base?
apideqwdo__37763.1626845301.jpg

I've been using this type of heater all winter with two plastic waterers, with no issues at all. They don't get hot enough to melt anything but ice (they only turn on when temps are below 34-deg-F and don't get hot), and as long as the temps are above about 10-deg they do fine at keeping the ice melted. So what's the deal?

(BTW, the waterers I used with these heater bases are fine; I needed waterer bases for another set that have been in storage for awhile. They broke when I stupidly banged the waterers against a post to break the ice out of it. Duh. So I bought two new waterers, and those are what I used all winter long with no problems. )

By the way, why do they always say you can't use a plastic waterer on a heated base?
apideqwdo__37763.1626845301.jpg

I've been using this type of heater all winter with two plastic waterers, with no issues at all. They don't get hot enough to melt anything but ice (they only turn on when temps are below 34-deg-F and don't get hot), and as long as the temps are above about 10-deg they do fine at keeping the ice melted. So what's the deal?

(BTW, the waterers I used with these heater bases are fine; I needed waterer bases for another set that have been in storage for awhile. They broke when I stupidly banged the waterers against a post to break the ice out of it. Duh. So I bought two new waterers, and those are what I used all winter long with no problems. )
I don't think it's plastic, I think they say no galvanized steel on warming plate because when warmed up galvanized steel releases a chemical I believe. my heated waterer is plastic.

I don't think it's plastic, I think they say no galvanized steel on warming plate because when warmed up galvanized steel releases a chemical I believe. my heated waterer is plastic.
This, from the Chewy website:
"...Designed for use with double-wall metal founts only, this heated base will keep water flowing in outdoor temperatures down to 10 degrees fahrenheit...."

Ah..... but never mind! I just found this on Amazon, from Harris Farms:
"Set your metal OR plastic poultry drinker on this base to prevent water from freezing down to 10 degrees F."
default_zzzzscratchchin-gif.2458342

Pffffftttttt whatever. Maybe depends on the brand. I'm gonna keep doing what I've been doing until something breaks, melts, or catches fire.

Back
Top Bottom