Pasty butt? Egg bound? Help

aldanfac

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Maryland, USA
Hi guys I have a mystery illness or impairment that I can’t figure out.. So this is my hen who started showing pasty butt if you saw that post. That was a couple weeks ago and I got her cleaned up and she looked good. Today after work when I came to check on them she was looking a bit rough.. she dig a new dust bath hole in the sand so that’s where the wetness comes from (I think) but she’s acting very very weird. I assumed egg bound so I did a 20 min epson salt soak and I am sitting with her now. What do you guys think about this? I wish I could post the videos so you guys could really see what I’m talking about— anyone know how I can do this?
625C93CE-FBB3-48BB-8CBC-7ACD3B899EC0.jpeg
0B99767D-E00F-48EF-A609-E5B138DBC876.jpeg

Does she lay eggs normally? Is her lower abdomen/belly enlarged or swollen? It looks a bit large in the picture, which could be ascites (water belly) or salpingitis (egg masses.) Those are common in hens over 2-3 years old. Ascites can be related to reproductive disorders, liver disease, cancer, or heart failure. Ascites causes yellow fluid to collect inside the abdomen, and that can cause pressure on her organs and labored breathing. Fluid can be removed with a large syringe and an 18 gauge needle inserted just under the skin of the belly. That is only a temporary fix, and infection can result.

The enlarged lower belly can make it difficult for her droppings to come out without getting her below the vent area dirty. Sometimes trimming excess fluff, and a little cleanup often may help. Flies will lay eggs on soiled vents, and that can lead to maggots and flystrike, which is deadly.

Does she lay eggs normally? Is her lower abdomen/belly enlarged or swollen? It looks a bit large in the picture, which could be ascites (water belly) or salpingitis (egg masses.) Those are common in hens over 2-3 years old. Ascites can be related to reproductive disorders, liver disease, cancer, or heart failure. Ascites causes yellow fluid to collect inside the abdomen, and that can cause pressure on her organs and labored breathing. Fluid can be removed with a large syringe and an 18 gauge needle inserted just under the skin of the belly. That is only a temporary fix, and infection can result.

The enlarged lower belly can make it difficult for her droppings to come out without getting her below the vent area dirty. Sometimes trimming excess fluff, and a little cleanup often may help. Flies will lay eggs on soiled vents, and that can lead to maggots and flystrike, which is deadly.
She just started laying and it’s getting normal every other day sometimes everyday recently skipping days maybe 2. She’s only been laying for a month so I don’t know what to think.. her belly doesn’t seem swollen but I did notice her crop felt large and hard, do you think impaction would cause this?

Back
Top Bottom