Pasty butt

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
Our smallest chick seems to have alot more pasty butt issues. She's the smallest of all 6 chicks. She is one of 3 bantams. Is there anything we can do to help treat it?

All the chicks I get from my local feed store have pasty butt problems. I always have to clean them up under the tap, at least a couple times, but after a few days in my care it clears up. I give them the same food and water they get at the feed store, only thing I do different is put a splash of apple cider vinegar in their water. Same little waterer you have in your avatar. I've always chalked it up to the vinegar sorting it out, but I can't say 100% for sure.

All the chicks I get from my local feed store have pasty butt problems. I always have to clean them up under the tap, at least a couple times, but after a few days in my care it clears up. I give them the same food and water they get at the feed store, only thing I do different is put a splash of apple cider vinegar in their water. Same little waterer you have in your avatar. I've always chalked it up to the vinegar sorting it out, but I can't say 100% for sure.

Thank you, yeah ours came from local feed store. They all had it a few days but the smallest seems to have it alottle more often. We did apple cider vinegar once. May need to do it again. How often should we do it and is it normal for her little butt area to look red? I know stupid question.

How often should we do it and is it normal for her little butt area to look red?
I give it to them every time I refill their water, up until I move them outside, at which point I just let them drink the plain water that I give the grown birds.
The redness isn't normal in my experience, I don't think I've ever seen that with pasty butt tbh. Might be indicative of something more going on, but if she's needing a lot of cleaning it might just be irritation. Hopefully someone will come along who has more to add where that's concerned.
Do you think you could snap a picture of it? That might help folks here appraise the situation a bit better.

Last edited:
I give it to them every time I refill their water, up until I move them outside, at which point I just let them drink the plain water that I give the grown birds.
The redness isn't normal in my experience, I don't think I've ever seen that with pasty butt tbh. Might be indicative of something more going on, but it she's needing a lot of cleaning it might just be irritation. Hopefully someone will come along who has more to add where that's concerned.
Do you think you could snap a picture of it? That might help folks here appraise the situation a bit better.
Yes I will get a picture and post thank.

Our smallest chick seems to have alot more pasty butt issues. She's the smallest of all 6 chicks. She is one of 3 bantams. Is there anything we can do to help treat it?
Is this pasty butt. She gets the dry crusty poop. But her bottum looks like this now.

Attachments

• 20220731_190743.jpg
    20220731_190743.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220731_190731.jpg
    20220731_190731.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 8
I was really hoping someone else would come along with their two cents, but alas.
Assuming this is after she's been cleaned up, I'd say yeah, it looks like she had some pasty butt going on. I think I can still make out a dingleberry there:
1659312835914.png

It can be a pain to get that last bit of poo out of their down sometimes, so unless it comes out fairly easily I take some scissors and, carefully of course, snip the poopy part off the rest of the down.

That dark spot under her vent, towards the belly button, does look a little darker than usual to me. I'm not sure what to make of it though. Couldn't hurt to apply a little petroleum jelly to the area, just a little, taking care not to cover her vent.

I'm not sure how long you've had chickens, so I'll post this just to be safe, I know sometimes people confuse the remnants of their umbilical with pasty butt. If it's something like this you're seeing then it's perfectly normal and will heal soon enough just like human belly buttons. You definitely don't want to pull on it though.
1659313443201.png

I was really hoping someone else would come along with their two cents, but alas.
Assuming this is after she's been cleaned up, I'd say yeah, it looks like she had some pasty butt going on. I think I can still make out a dingleberry there: View attachment 3207090
It can be a pain to get that last bit of poo out of their down sometimes, so unless it comes out fairly easily I take some scissors and, carefully of course, snip the poopy part off the rest of the down.

That dark spot under her vent, towards the belly button, does look a little darker than usual to me. I'm not sure what to make of it though. Couldn't hurt to apply a little petroleum jelly to the area, just a little, taking care not to cover her vent.

I'm not sure how long you've had chickens, so I'll post this just to be safe, I know sometimes people confuse the remnants of their umbilical with pasty butt. If it's something like this you're seeing then it's perfectly normal and will heal soon enough just like human belly buttons. You definitely don't want to pull on it though. View attachment 3207124
Thank you we have only had them for a week

Back
Top Bottom