Pea chicks with mom and brood

Stephb1013

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2019
Quakertown, PA
My peahens just hatched 4 chicks a Few days ago and seems to be doing a good job taking care of them but now I’m getting paranoid. There is the peacock and two other hens in the coop. I heard someone say today to take the mother hens the babies Out and Put them in a separate pen cause they could get killed by accident. Has anyone had experience with this?

Last edited:
I have never had other hens or the cock hurt the chicks. Even free ranging I have had no issues. Chicken hens you can't trust, I have had chickens kill the peachicks they hatch out.
IMG_6455.JPG
IMG_6464.JPG
IMG_6469.JPG
IMG_4059.JPG
IMG_4174.JPG
IMG_4206.JPG

Our peahen has never successfully riased a single chick in decades. We've captured her chicks and raised them in a wire brooder pen with heating and this works pretty well. The hen doesn't like it at all though and will sit right there next to the brooder 24/7. We set up food, water and a perch for her too. They talk to each other and the hen tells or shows the chicks when to eat or drink. When the chicks no longer need heat we open the brooder and they walk off together. They stay pretty close for the next six or eight months. The peacock could not care less about any of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom