Peacock in the City?

I have two peacock and six pea hen neighbors.The loudest and prettiest on the block! We do not mind the noise because they only cry at night when they see intruders. They are excellent snake hunters and because they roost so high in the trees they know when raccoons or coyotes are coming in from the surrounding pastures. Great neighbors in rural central Texas.
Beautiful picture of your male!

If you want to be a good neighbor you will not acquire a peacock for the following reasons:

1. He will make all kinds of noise at all hours of the day and night.
2. He will go to the neighbors and jump up on the hood of their new car to look at himself in the windshield.
3. While he is on the hood he will leave scratches and poop all over the car.
4. He may attack the neighbor's children and draw blood.

I could go on but you get the picture?
Wow, have you tried setting up a good perching place for your birds(keeps them off cars), and big mirror-(plexiglass if possible) really helps keep him and every one happy, well, maybe not the bleeding children.

Bleeding children?? Our neighbor peacocks never get on cars but do stand in the road and make you maneuver around them. If one was to bite one of my kids I am sure I would not steer around him the next time he stood in the road. But many zoos allow
peacocks to roam freely, so surely certain breeds are better than others?

It all depends on the bird Kati and it can take 3 years for the bird to mature , they can be aggressive to new things, I have 19 free rangers and they go after anything new
if you are in a neighborhood you let your bird roam without consent of everyone within a mile at least you are doing no better than the dog owner that lets his dog roam.
I would not someone elses peafowl coming to my place or any of their other animals.

Free ranging is wonderful but it has it's place a zoo is surrounded by walls and vegetation the peas their can't see the outside world so they stay put, my place is the same way

We currently live in the country but are moving to a " Village". We have peacocks now and would like to take them with us, we have purchased a home with 9 acres, actually our neighbors are farther away than when we lived in the country. Trying to be good citizens, we asked about poultry ordinances and where told No poultry. On September 9th we attended our local village council meeting. We are taking it to the next level and are trying to change the law, the notice will be posted and there will be a public hearing, hopefully we can get support from others. There have been others that would like a few chickens for their own use. I hope the Peacocks can be part of the new law!

We currently live in the country but are moving to a " Village". We have peacocks now and would like to take them with us, we have purchased a home with 9 acres, actually our neighbors are farther away than when we lived in the country. Trying to be good citizens, we asked about poultry ordinances and where told No poultry. On September 9th we attended our local village council meeting. We are taking it to the next level and are trying to change the law, the notice will be posted and there will be a public hearing, hopefully we can get support from others. There have been others that would like a few chickens for their own use. I hope the Peacocks can be part of the new law!

So what are you suppose to be able to do with 9 acres if ya can have livestock on it?
What country are you from?

Back
Top Bottom