Peafowl 102: Advanced Housing and Accessories

I also was "gifted" two pea hens. I have found in my life the chicken comes first then the planning as to shelter. As with these pea hens. I let them live in my barn. the first two weeks I did NOT let them outside for fear of them leaving. Then I let them out when I was working around the barn and so far Knock wood they have came in the barn to roost at night. A few nights when it was bitter bitter cold they went in the heated chicken house! My friend caught mine by 1. waiting till they were asleep and just picking them up off where they were roosting on the porch. and 2. feeding them pancakes and one day throwing the pancake in a dog kennel and slamming the door shut behind them. :yesss:

Our peahen came back. The neighbors did not feed her, but we do. She lives outdoors free ranging throughout our 2 acres. She is a beautiful bird, and serene and sweet. We feed her a mix of chicken food and dog food with all sorts of treats such as vegetables, fruit, grain.

She seems to be happy living here. She has been back with us for two months.

I would love for her to breed and to have some fertile eggs. How might someone get a male to breed with her? Should I try to borrow a male from someone? There are a few living in a neighborhood in a nearby city: It does not have much traffic. No one really owns the birds, at least as far as any neighbor there I have talked to. They are semi wild. I thought maybe I could lure a male into a dog crate somehow and then bring him here and have him mate with our hen. Then, after a few days, I could take him back there. Would this work?

I will hunt for eggs once it it the time when the female might lay. Will she lay even when she has not been with a cock? How might I find the eggs? She has full run of our property! Are the eggs edible?

Our peahen came back. The neighbors did not feed her, but we do. She lives outdoors free ranging throughout our 2 acres. She is a beautiful bird, and serene and sweet. We feed her a mix of chicken food and dog food with all sorts of treats such as vegetables, fruit, grain.

She seems to be happy living here. She has been back with us for two months.

I would love for her to breed and to have some fertile eggs. How might someone get a male to breed with her? Should I try to borrow a male from someone? There are a few living in a neighborhood in a nearby city: It does not have much traffic. No one really owns the birds, at least as far as any neighbor there I have talked to. They are semi wild. I thought maybe I could lure a male into a dog crate somehow and then bring him here and have him mate with our hen. Then, after a few days, I could take him back there. Would this work?

I will hunt for eggs once it it the time when the female might lay. Will she lay even when she has not been with a cock? How might I find the eggs? She has full run of our property! Are the eggs edible?

I do have two pea hens and a peacock but I really dont know an answer to your question. I bet if you ask around you could get some help. I have "heard" they mate in February or March. The males will start "calling" mine have done nothing like that. I have heard they are super noisey. mine are quiet as little mice. Although my husband heard them the other day when he was out hunting a bobcat that has been disrupting my chickens. I would go to the threads and start a new thread pertaining to your peacock question. Good Luck

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with chat or sand as outside run ground cover? I’m making a large enclosure that can be divided up for my breading trios and want a ground cover that won’t turn to straight mud in a year of use.... was thinking thick layer of chat or sand, spot clean and add little more each yr... Any ideas on this???

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with chat or sand as outside run ground cover? I’m making a large enclosure that can be divided up for my breading trios and want a ground cover that won’t turn to straight mud in a year of use.... was thinking thick layer of chat or sand, spot clean and add little more each yr... Any ideas on this???
If your pen provides at least 150sq ft per bird you can maintain a grass carpet for the birds which is much better than any other kind of litter or substrate.
IMG_0520.JPG

I would love to have grass but that is not going to be possible. I am having a 40x40 building pole barn type built and the workers are going to create a muddy mess and kill any grass and the area is thin grass not great soil, lots of clay... so grass is not going to be possible. Anyone use anything else? Or ideas with sand or chat???

Back
Top Bottom