Peafowl deworming/ treatment dosages

Tkpfowl

Chirping
Mar 31, 2019
Illinois/Indiana
I’m new to peafowl but have loved them ever since hearing the cry of my neighbors as a child. I currently have one India blue female but “lost” my male in January. I say lost because he disappeared, the last time seen was in a tree in the backyard and no sign of him since. Still hoping he wanders his way back for breeding season.

In the next few weeks I am picking up a Buford bronze white eyed male and a Buford bronze BS white eyed female . I have been researching endlessly trying to prepare myself and my medicine cabinet for the arrival of these two gems. Up until this point I have not had any treatment or deworming plan. I realize I have been burying my head in the sand by not preparing myself for the inevitable illness, seeing as they will be housed with our chickens, for now.

What’s a list of all the meds, dewormers, etc. you keep on hand and dosages in which you treat. I prefer to treat by either injection or orally with a syringe down the throat because I feel water soluble isn’t very effective, and I don’t want to have egg withdrawal from my laying hens if they aren’t the ones effected. We will only have the 3 peas, so we don’t have a large number of them to catch. Here’s what I have compiled so far, please don’t be shy to correct me, I only want what’s best for my birds as they are pets primarily.

Metronidazole- treats blackhead.
30-60mg/2.2lbs 2x daily down throat 200/250mg tablets or 50mg/ml liquid

Safeguard goat drench 10% fenbendazole- treats worms.
2ml peahens, 3ml peacocks, 50mg/2.2lbs= .5cc/2.2lbs down throat
1 day dose treats round and cecal worms
3 day dose gape and tape worm
5 day dose capillary worms

Ivermectin pour on treats mites and bloodsucking parasites .5cc/ young birds, 1cc/ adults on back/ subcutaneous/ down throat

Baytril 100mg/ml treats swollen eye sinus .2ml/2.2lbs subcutaneously

Corid 9.6% liquid treats coccidiosis
.1ml/1lbs orally for 1-3 days

I was also researching Tramisol and Levasole but could only find dosage for diluting in water.

All advise and suggestions welcome. And as i am sure someone will ask, no they will not be allowed to free range any longer. I am putting up guy wires with aviary netting to keep from escaping. Thanks in advance for the help guys, and to be honest probably 95% of this info has come from BYC in the past. Which is why I finally decided to join and utilize the wealth of knowledge on here.

Last edited:
I’m new to peafowl but have loved them ever since hearing the cry of my neighbors as a child. I currently have one India blue female but “lost” my male in January. I say lost because he disappeared, the last time seen was in a tree in the backyard and no sign of him since. Still hoping he wanders his way back for breeding season.

In the next few weeks I am picking up a Buford bronze white eyed male and a Buford bronze BS white eyed female . I have been researching endlessly trying to prepare myself and my medicine cabinet for the arrival of these two gems. Up until this point I have not had any treatment or deworming plan. I realize I have been burying my head in the sand by not preparing myself for the inevitable illness, seeing as they will be housed with our chickens, for now.

What’s a list of all the meds, dewormers, etc. you keep on hand and dosages in which you treat. I prefer to treat by either injection or orally with a syringe down the throat because I feel water soluble isn’t very effective, and I don’t want to have egg withdrawal from my laying hens if they aren’t the ones effected. We will only have the 3 peas, so we don’t have a large number of them to catch. Here’s what I have compiled so far, please don’t be shy to correct me, I only want what’s best for my birds as they are pets primarily.

Metronidazole- treats blackhead.
30-60mg/2.2lbs 2x daily down throat 200/250mg tablets or 50mg/ml liquid

Safeguard goat drench 10% fenbendazole- treats worms.
2ml peahens, 3ml peacocks, 50mg/2.2lbs= .5cc/2.2lbs down throat
1 day dose treats round and cecal worms
3 day dose gape and tape worm
5 day dose capillary worms

Ivermectin pour on treats mites and bloodsucking parasites .5cc/ young birds, 1cc/ adults on back/ subcutaneous/ down throat

Baytril 100mg/ml treats swollen eye sinus .2ml/2.2lbs subcutaneously

Corid 9.6% liquid treats coccidiosis
.1ml/1lbs orally for 1-3 days

I was also researching Tramisol and Levasole but could only find dosage for diluting in water.

All advise and suggestions welcome. And as i am sure someone will ask, no they will not be allowed to free range any longer. I am putting up guy wires with aviary netting to keep from escaping. Thanks in advance for the help guys, and to be honest probably 95% of this info has come from BYC in the past. Which is why I finally decided to join and utilize the wealth of knowledge on here.
Just in case there's any question...you can't use pour on ivermectin "down the throat". Only the injectible. 1 %. There is a difference.

Just in case there's any question...you can't use pour on ivermectin "down the throat". Only the injectible. 1 %. There is a difference.

Good point and do not use more than 0.40ml of the pour-on type on a bird, it needs to be divided up between the back, under the wings and above the vent. Using too much in one spot will cause a chemical burn.
IMG_3044.JPG

Back
Top Bottom