Peafowl Egg Hatching

jsaxman1111

Chirping
Apr 26, 2023
I have two peahens and a peacock. One peahen is broody. We had one peachick hatch, which passed away after a week, but no others hatched. I candled the eggs the other day and they all look to be developing nicely, some ready to hatch. Went out this morning to check on her and found a bloody, half-opened egg. At first I thought it was hatching but see no movement The other peahen came in and began eating the shell off of it. It looks like another egg has pipped. The broody hen moved all of the other eggs back under her but left that one out. We started with 9 eggs and the one baby hatched. Now it looks like she has at least 9 eggs again. Can anyone explain to me what may be happening? There didn't seem to be a strong smell like the half opened one had been dead for awhile. I did not get extremely close or touch it because I didn't want to disturb her. I took a picture but was unsure if I should post it. Does anyone know what may be happening or have any advice? We would like the new babies to be tame, as these ones were not worked with much prior to being with us. They do eat out of my hand because I go out regularly and just sit with them and give them treats. They are very comfortable with me.

I went back out and looked in the door of the nesting area, and the two peahens had removed the dead peachick from the shell. They ate the remaining yolk and shell. Baby is just lying in there. The broody hen had picked up the shell and yolk and carried it out into the open area and came back into the nest and laid back on the eggs. There is one extra egg in there, so one of them are laying a second clutch. Is there anything I should do? I didn't touch anything in case they need to do something that is natural for them. Thank you in advance for any advice!

If the second hen has been contributing more eggs then you are going to have a staggered hatch. Hopefully, the second hen will also go broody soon but there can be complications such as both hens leaving the nest before all the eggs hatch. Nature will run its course, it just may not be the results you are hoping for. Be ready with an incubator for the remaining eggs if needed.

If the second hen has been contributing more eggs then you are going to have a staggered hatch. Hopefully, the second hen will also go broody soon but there can be complications such as both hens leaving the nest before all the eggs hatch. Nature will run its course, it just may not be the results you are hoping for. Be ready with an incubator for the remaining eggs if needed.
Thank you so much! When I went out, this morning, another egg was broken open I believe it was the new one, as all of the others had been fertilized and growing and this one was not. And now, she is only sitting on 5 eggs, leaving the other two out, which I just assumed that maybe those two are quitters and she knows they are not alive. We (my husband and I) discussed an incubator last night. I'm thinking that may be the way we need to go. Thank you so much for letting me know. As I said, I am new to this and want to do everything correctly so we can raise the healthiest babies we can.

Some hens are ok with another hen in the nest and others are not. If not they will try to kick out the other hen to lay the egg or to keep the other one out and this will get eggs broken.
Could I ask what incubator you would recommend? I know that the eggs are sensitive, so I am nervous about humidity. I got one but it was still air. The temp is staying a consistent 99 but the humidity won't come down below 66 and if I am reading correctly, that is too high.

Back
Top Bottom