Peahen behaviour

Gemmie86

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2022
Hi there,
Ok so a little bit of backstory, I live in a rented bungalow & my landlord also has his own house within the same property (it’s a small holding). Last year he acquired an adult peahen, I’ve no idea how old she is or where he got her from but she’s always been friendly, I’ve not had any issues with her until the last couple of weeks.
Firstly she’s started to chase my car, it started off with it being only when I was arriving back home and reversing to park outside the house she’d see my car and literally sprint alongside as I was parking but now she’s doing it when I leave the property too, if she’s around and sees my car leaving she’ll sprint alongside up the drive. I wouldn’t mind so much but I can barely see her and I’m terrified I’ll run her over, if I get out of the car to move her away she makes clicking sounds at me and looks really annoyed.
She comes down to my bungalow every day and stares through the patio doors and pecks the door either to get my attention or because she wants to get inside, she’s definitely not looking at herself as there’s a mirror outside at her level which she doesn’t even bother with. If at any point I leave open the door she wanders into the house and struts around like she owns it.
She’s now “attacked” me three times whilst I’ve been either walking to my car or doing something outside, she flies at me and kicks me and pecks me!!!

Anyone have any insight into what could be causing this change in behaviour and what I can do, I used to really enjoy having her around but as silly as it sounds I’m now nervous of her 😣

Thanks!!!

Sounds more like a peacock than a hen to me! He or she may
need the distraction of another peafowl. We had a renter on our property who adopted a lone young peacock. As he matured he started attacking our horses!!! We picked up an adult female and a couple of babies for him and his focus changed to the other birds.

Last edited:
need the distraction of another peafowl. We had a renter on our property who adopted a lone young peacock. As he matured he started attacking our horses!!! We picked up an adult female and a couple of babies for him and his focus changed to the other birds.
I agree, it does sound like a hormonal cock. May we see a pic of this hen?

Hi there, thanks for your response it’s definitely a peahen I’ll attach a photo. I spoke to my landlord about it and he’s convinced that she’s just excited 😬

Attachments

• 26C53DBA-A6FD-4331-B53C-58E90C5532D0.jpeg
    26C53DBA-A6FD-4331-B53C-58E90C5532D0.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom