Pecked hen with leg injury

Pekinlover90

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 30, 2018
So since day 1 we have had our 5 turkeys in with the 6 layer chicks and they have all been great and gotten along. Now the turkeys have grown and are twice the size of my little layer gals and on Friday we had an incident and now seperated them. One of the turkeys (I assume pinned her down) and pecked her head causing her to bleed and plucked all her head feathers out. I am currently treating with some entederm ointment. She is still in with the other layers and they seem to be leaving her alone. I feel that her head will heal fine however, while she was being attacked I think he hurt her leg. She didn't move much the rest of the day, she now will hop around on one of her legs to get around and rest when possible. Any ideas of how long to expect to know if she is going to improve? I don't want to cull her if I don't have to but also don't want her to have to hop around forever either. I don't really have a way to seperate her from the rest of them.

As long as she is eating and drinking and her flock mates are not picking on her, I would give her the chance to recover.

Back
Top Bottom