pecking at eggs

mamasgirls6

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver, WA
i have five hens ( 1 sex link, 1 rir, 2 araucana. 1 mutt) no rooster. Never had this problem before. All of sudden one of the girls is pecking the eggs. Leaving holes in the eggs. She is not eating them . This has been going on for 2 days. I don't know which one is doing it. They get oyster shell, there laying feed, scraps , fresh water, and lots of love. anybody know whats causing this? and how do I stop it.

Are they kept confined where they don't have enough to entertain them? If that is the case you could try hanging a head of cabage to give them something to peck at & it's good for them.

Are you sure it's a chicken? I have some wild birds (not sure if it's the blue jays or ravens that do it) and I know they are the culprits. But I thought it was the girls for a long time. I even gave one away
sad.png

Do you have your nesting boxes in an area that is quiet and sort of dim? If not, you could you put some kind of curtain up to make it a little darker where the nesting boxes are? That will definitely help.

Back
Top Bottom