Pecking order

9reasons

Chirping
Oct 29, 2022
I have two darling Orpington pullets nine and 10 weeks old. They are buff and black. I wanted a cuckoo colour for my third and the only girl I could get is about 36 weeks old and laying. I got her two days ago and she is literally enormous! I thought Orpington’s were meant to be friendly but she has been pretty brutal towards the two pullets when we tried free ranging them together…pecking out their feathers and eating them! So we split the coop and the run into two separate units for them to sleep and I’m letting them free range separately. I have had mixed advice about this but some are saying the pullets need to be at least 18 to 20 weeks before I free range them all together so they can defend themselves with the inevitable pecking order. This is rather inconvenient but doable. I have also heard that if you keep them in the same vicinity but separated like this so they get very used to each other that it minimises the aggression with the eventual pecking order. Any advice about this would be really appreciated. I am new to keeping chickens and my supposed docile cuckoo orpington seems more like Mad Max the last two days! She also bok bok’s very loudly at dawn! She is sweet on her own though 🤷🏼‍♀️ She arrived after an 18 hour poultry truck ride and was starving so I imagine stress being in a new space may be part of it. Thanks in advance 🙏

Welcome to BYC!
I got her two days ago
This is not that long. You didn't quarantine. I hope she is not a carrier for some illness that she will pass on to your pullets.
we tried free ranging them together
After only 2 days? This is no where near long enough for them to acclimate to each other.
need to be at least 18 to 20 weeks before I free range them all together
Not true.
keep them in the same vicinity but separated like this so they get very used to each other
☝️ This. They need to be in this set up for about 10-14 days. THEN let them intermingle AFTER you have put some things out for them to hide behind and perch on. And 2 waterer and feeders separated by a good distance.
She arrived after an 18 hour poultry truck ride
😲 Can you blame her!? This would be very stressful.

Even after they all start relatively getting along, they will not fully become a cohesive flock until the pullets start laying. Give them a lot more time.

The pecking order isn't about aggression. It is about status. These are different things. Her being aggressive towards the pullets was because she did not recognize them as members of her own flock so she wanted to drive them off.

I have a couple pullets that I have been free-ranging with some of my hens (an Australorp and two Salmon Faverolles). I first let the hens out every few days so they could see the pullets in their little run/coop. Did that for a couple weeks and just started letting them all out together. Everything @DobieLover says is correct-throwing strange chickens together that quickly is bound to result in problems regardless of breed or age. Your new hen being in a new place is just an added stress for her. I would let her free range where she can see the pullets and get comfortable in her new surroundings for a couple weeks before letting them out together. You can alternate free range time so everyone gets some.

Welcome to BYC!

This is not that long. You didn't quarantine. I hope she is not a carrier for some illness that she will pass on to your pullets.

After only 2 days? This is no where near long enough for them to acclimate to each other.

Not true.

☝️ This. They need to be in this set up for about 10-14 days. THEN let them intermingle AFTER you have put some things out for them to hide behind and perch on. And 2 waterer and feeders separated by a good distance.

😲 Can you blame her!? This would be very stressful.

Even after they all start relatively getting along, they will not fully become a cohesive flock until the pullets start laying. Give them a lot more time.

The pecking order isn't about aggression. It is about status. These are different things. Her being aggressive towards the pullets was because she did not recognize them as members of her own flock so she wanted to drive them off.
:goodpost:

:welcome Integration is a gradual process and takes time. First of all this new hen needs to feel at home. It's too late for quarantine so hopefully she is healthy. Plucking and eating feathers may be more than pecking order process. Make sure that she is fed adequately, and if the feather plucking/eating continues further steps may be necessary to attempt to break the habit.

Thanks everyone. I will continue what I’m doing then. I feel for my older girl because travelling from her previous owner/breeder whom I have been talking to for some time now, she has only ever known that situation. She is in top condition, this was ascertained prior, so putting her with my two I didn’t feel was an issue. I still have my learner wheels on with all of this but learning fast! I understand what I am doing is the ‘look don’t touch’ method. The coop and run situation I have is only big enough for four chickens (I am only having these 3) but the idea was for them to free range the back yard, so half of the space each, particularly with the two pullets being quite young, with time free ranging for both seems fair in the short term.

Back
Top Bottom