pecking order?

sixxchixx

Songster
13 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Escondido, CA
i have four 9-10 week old pullets 3 EE and 1 Barred Rock (i hope, one EE is making me question her XX status)

i was wondering when they start developing their pecking order.

the one in question hasnt crowed and looks like the other chicks in size and body shape, but seems to be beating up on one other chick in particular (the BR) . She/He will bite the others neck and hold on until I intervene or the chick gets away. she doesnt seem to be hurt much by the bully and goes on about her normal chicken business but im wondering if it could be pecking order stuff or if maybe it is a sign of being a roo.

Pecking order starts at day one. By six to eight weeks, the pecking order is up and running and most all the chicks know their place in the order.
The behavior you witnessed could be a roo's clumsy first mating attempts OR it could be a higher ranking pullet reprimanding a lower ranking one.
If they aren't drawning blood, best to let them sort it out.

Its interesting. My 24 week BRs started to "fight" with each other
at food and on roost. This behavior started in last two weeks.
One of them that I thought lowest on order is now aggressive
with others.

I was wondering why this new thing started.

thank you both for your comments. im new to BYC and chickens in general, it's awesome that everyone is so willing to help newbies. i guess ill just have to wait and see if she is indeed a he and let them figure it all out themselves.

Back
Top Bottom