Pekin Duck just passed

BrownRanch

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2022
Good evening all! We have pekin ducks who are about a year old now. A couple of months ago we had one who was laying in the same spot for a couple of days (she was venturing out in small doses), i brought her inside and she wouldn't eat or drink and had a hard time standing unfortunately she passed away overnight. . We just had the same thing happen! It's so devastating, especially not knowing why! They are on all flock feed as they eat with our chickens, does anyone know what may be causing this? I can't let this keep happening!

Pekin ducks need more niacin than chickens or other ducks.

It's possible your pekins had niacin deficiency. You should add brewer's yeast to the all flock feed for your ducks. I use 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast per cup of all flock feed. I buy mine from Amazon. Your chickens kidneys will excrete the extra niacin that they do not need.

if you have ducks that are already showing symptoms -- difficulty walking for example -- you must use high dose of niacin. You can buy Durvet Vitamin B complex at Tractor Supplies Co. The label says it is injected, but for ducks, we use 1ml soaked into a treat per day.

Attachments

• 2022-04-14 (1).png
    2022-04-14 (1).png
    269.8 KB · Views: 1
  • High level Vit B Complex.JPG
    High level Vit B Complex.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1
Good evening all! We have pekin ducks who are about a year old now. A couple of months ago we had one who was laying in the same spot for a couple of days (she was venturing out in small doses), i brought her inside and she wouldn't eat or drink and had a hard time standing unfortunately she passed away overnight. . We just had the same thing happen! It's so devastating, especially not knowing why! They are on all flock feed as they eat with our chickens, does anyone know what may be causing this? I can't let this keep happening!
It sounds like it could have been a niacin deficiency, pekins need a lot of niacin or their legs become bowed, pigeon toed and ultimately give out

So sorry for your losses. :hugsIf you still have the body, you can send it off to get a necropsy or do one yourself. Do you remember anything else strange?
I dont, they generally run away from us when we get close, unless we have treats, and they didn't care to run which is why we brought them in. Then noticed they couldn't stand up, and wouldn't eat or drink. The other seem fine, for now

Pekin ducks need more niacin than chickens or other ducks.

It's possible your pekins had niacin deficiency. You should add brewer's yeast to the all flock feed for your ducks. I use 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast per cup of all flock feed. I buy mine from Amazon. Your chickens kidneys will excrete the extra niacin that they do not need.

if you have ducks that are already showing symptoms -- difficulty walking for example -- you must use high dose of niacin. You can buy Durvet Vitamin B complex at Tractor Supplies Co. The label says it is injected, but for ducks, we use 1ml soaked into a treat per day.
Thank you for that info. I will make sure to give our other ducks additional niacin!

I'm so sorry. I don’t know much about Perkins but I just wanted to say I hope you’re ok. I’d be devastated, big hugs xxx

Back
Top Bottom