Pekin ducklings sudden death

shawluvsbirds

🦆Lord luv a Duck!
Apr 17, 2017
Missouri
Thanks for all the ideas.
Yes they had room to get away from the heat lamp. Not sure if the temp but they could easily get to a cooler space. outside the temps are generally around 24-27celcius and again they had a cool sheltered space.
There was no moldy food and we changed it regularly. There was also non on the ground and they wouldn’t be able to reach it if there was due to the cage setup (anything dropped fell under the cage out of reach).
I have called the feed duck/chicken food as I’m not sure which one it is as we recently had young chicks and I’m not sure if we got duck food.
They were eating and drinking and pooping normally prior to passing.
Ducklings can do ok on chicken starter but if that's what you have then yes they do need to have some niacin supplement.
Of course feed may be a little different in your area so I'm not sure, but inadequate feed could be a possibility.
There's no way to really know 100% sure without a necropsy.
But I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of getting one if it were me unless you continue to have mysterious sudden deaths.
They could have just gotten into something they shouldn't have,
Or just not been the healthiest when you got them to begin with.

shawluvsbirds

🦆Lord luv a Duck!
Apr 17, 2017
Missouri
My thoughts on the temperature thing was maybe if the temperature changes were drastic between outdoor temps and inside temps... It can be hard for them to acclimate.
Especially if say maybe you put them outside for the day but it ended up being a cooler day,
And maybe they had access to swimming water and got all wet and chilled? But I would say that's unlikely if you have warm outside weather.
I do that as well in the summer when it's warm, put them outside for the day and bring them in at night.

Top Bottom