Pekin with diarrhea

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
Scuba, my favorite pekin is slow, injured herself last year and just doesn't move all that fast anymore, she also has a very weak quack more of a squeak.. she has what I guess you would call diarrhea, i have noticed it before but today i was really astounded at how prolific her pooping was probably 1/2-3/4 cup and almost entirely liquid, there was one small lump in it, i poked at it but it just broke apart. Nothing visibly alarming in it except for the volume and startling sound it made. As i said i have seen this before from her, she seems to do it consistently when I let her out in the morning. She isn’t underweight, eats, drinks, swims , forages and lays eggs . Has open free access to food water and oyster shells 24/7. I haven’t sent in for a fecal float, probably should, is there somewhere i can send it? My vet for the ducks is about an hour in the wrong direction.. this isnt new, just wondering if I should be concerned.

Diarrhea is okay.. but that much of it..!? not sure. I don't think you should be too concerned. Maybe the duck is broody and has to let it all out once a day?

Diarrhea has been indicative of illness in my ducks. Everything from parasites to reproductive cancer - my first clue was diarrhea. Duck poop should not be watery.

I'm sorry I don't know how to test it for parasites without a vet.

Diarrhea has been indicative of illness in my ducks. Everything from parasites to reproductive cancer - my first clue was diarrhea. Duck poop should not be watery.

I'm sorry I don't know how to test it for parasites without a vet.
This was wet.. but i don’t know if i could say necessarily watery... hard to describe, like a milkshake I guess. I did not have my phone or I would have tried to take a picture. I will tomorrow.

Thimbleberry, as you can see, has the best duck poop ever. Pigweed does not.

I sent this photo of Pigweed's poop to my vet and she recommended testing for parasites. Pig didn't have any. In the past when her poop has looked like this, or worse, she has had parasites. My duck who had reproductive cancer had brown water for poop.

7A8CC9DB-DD2A-4698-98E2-2CD03AB25D84.jpeg
C35EB2E9-612F-4EDC-BFDE-C0CB0586DF2D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom