Pekin with symptoms of niacin deficiency even with consistent supplementation. Please advise!

Seems like you're on the right track. Keep making sure she definitely consumes 1 ml a day of the liquid vitamin B complex - like others said, it's okay if she gets a little extra in her water or whatever because her body will just get rid of it, but don't offer her the 1 ml in water because it will be too diluted and she needs the full amount. Let her swim at least once a day for 10-15 minutes to strengthen the leg - I would try for two times in a lukewarm bathtub. Don't make her overdo it by having to run/walk too far, and make sure she's not on a slippery surface. If you see that she's struggling to stand up and her legs are going out to the side, she has splay leg and then you need to hobble her with vet wrap. Best of luck.
Thank you so much for this info I’m going to make a little vet wrap for her.

I had my girl in hobbles for a few weeks, until she was strong enough to walk on her own and her legs were fairly developed. I think I removed them for swimming...can't fully remember, but I know I changed them fairly often. The first few times you do it it might help you to have someone hold her body up in standing position while you place the vet wrap - and make sure it's not too tight on the legs so you cut off circulation or anything. Also I kept up the vitamins for a couple months, then just switched to brewer's yeast.

Back
Top Bottom