Pennsylvania- Legalities of selling produce/seedlings/honey questions

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!
I'm located in PA and looking into selling veggies/seedlings/honey from our garden. I'm hoping to get some confirmation on the legal requirements (my eyes are going crossed from all the research)

1. From what I've researched, I believe that as long as they are sold as-is (not sliced or processed in anyway) we can sell produce from our house and at a farmer's market.

2. However, If we wanted to sell seedlings, we would need a Nursery license (and collect taxes on sales)

3. Honey- I believe we can sell honey without a permit/license as long as we produce/harvest/process it on our property. Additionally, it must be labeled with info on where it came from, the flower variation, weight, and a few other things. I did register our Apriary with PAplants.

Can anyone confirm any/all of the above?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Although I’m not in PA, I know that my home insurance company told me a few things when we bought our place in Ohio. Our home is outside city limits, with a separate barn (pole building)- nothing out of the ordinary. But, agent asked if we planned to start a business (bc of large pole building). This mattered bc you need a separate policy for that as the barn is not the residence. Interestingly, this insurance company does not cover any bee/honey operations, one would need a different company altogether for the bee/honey business (but they could still insure the residence) . This is similar to how you might need a different home insurance or s special rider for certain dog breeds.

Bee keeping: in Ohio, you needto register your hives. It’s not much money, so that isn’t s problem. Not sure why, bc might have to do with bee diseases and keeping track of them bc they are so important to agriculture. For Ohio, I believe this is run by Ohio department of Ag.

Overall, a few things to check into as your state may be different.

Interesting. I just looked to see if would need to register a hive (thinking about getting into beekeeping), and the answer is no.
In Louisiana, they encourage you to register your beehive. It benefits you so the mosquito man does not spray within a certain range that would harm your hive. Also, it will protect you from anyone else keeping bees since they require that beekeepers be a minimum of five miles apart. They will also help you in the event that you lose your hive due to mites, disease, or disaster, by getting you another hive set up at no charge. If you have less than 5 hives it's free to register.

Back
Top Bottom