Performing fecal float, have questions

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y'all!

I got my biology teacher's binocular, high tech microscope for a whole week! :celebrate While I have it, I thought I might as well do a fecal float for my girls.

I read a thread by @KsKingBee , but I need a DIY float solution recipe. I actually bought epsom salts yesterday, so I'm good to go on that. I know how to do pretty much everything else, I just need the solution recipe. I'll update this thread with pictures when I get the slides under the microscope.

TIA!

I confess, I copied this from my goat website... I guess it's the same for poultry worms
How to make your own floatation solution:

You are going to make a "saturated solution", which means you are going to put so much Epson Salt into some water that the water cannot take up any more. This will cause the water/Epson Salt solution to become heavier than just regular water, thus, the worm eggs will float to the surface of the solution during your test.

1. Purchase some Epson Salt.
  2. Put some of the Epson Salt in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Fill about 2/3 full with water.
  3. Shake the jar well.
  4. Add more Epson Salt.
  5. Shake.
  6. Over a 24 hour period, keep adding more Epson Salt and shaking until you have a permanent layer of Epson Salt in the bottom of the jar. No more Epson Salt will dissolve in the water. You now have a saturated Epson Salt floatation solution. Pour off the solution into another jar, leaving behind the non-dissolved Epson Salt grains.

Back
Top Bottom