Permethrin for flies

Jul 22, 2021
I'm planning to spray the coop with permethrin because the flies are out of control after all the rain we've had and it'll also help with the mosquitoes. My question is after spraying, when the bugs drop, will it be an issue if the chickens eat them? I know I have to keep them out until it dries but after that I know it'll be impossible to prevent them from eating anything they get their beaks on.

If you have that many flies in the coop, after spraying and it dries, I'd clean it out and re-bed it. If you are going to go through the trouble to spray it for flies, spray it for mites and well and really do a job on it. Is everything dry?
You can also hang fly traps away from the coop to draw them away from your flock.
I haven't had any bedding in for almost 2 week's now, just tossing in dry dirt I had collected in sand bags because it got wet during the rain but it's fully dry now. I've put out sticky fly traps as well as bags that catch a lot. Most of them I'm seeing hanging around outside and not as much in the coop but if we get another crazy rain, I don't want them to set up shop in there. I graded the yard so it can't drain towards the coop and added a dirt mound around it and that's corrected the water issues. Now there's just swarms of lingering flies, yesterday there seemed to be less but then today they were back in full force again and it's been a week since the last rain. Idk where they came from but I've been cleaning up anything that would attract them and trying to prevent them from staying and laying maggots. The entire city is sold out of everything fly related, can't even find a fly swatter in any stores so it's not just me with an abundance, I'm trying to stay ahead of potential problems. The permethrin I ordered says it's for ticks, fleas, mites, flies, and mosquitoes. Flies are my only problem at the moment. I'm still looking for something to sprinkle in the coop and dirt in the run that's not outrageously expensive to prevent mites, Will the permethrin not be enough for that in the mean time? So far with nightly checks I haven't seen any mites, been extra vigilant since squirrels keep getting into the run stealing feed and who knows what they're bringing with them, I think there's only 1 left since we've been dispatching them and filling in holes, only 1 hole is being dug out now and before at least 10 we're being dug out daily and I also don't see them running around anymore so hopefully that's resolved shortly.

Permethrin will kill mites. Mix correctly for mites it should kill flies. I use the Permethrin dust (powder) for nest boxes. I so spray or powder the birds when I do the coop.
I learned essential oils will repel mosquitoes and flies. 5-10 drops of oil in a spray bottle. I spray myself (arms legs) in a.m. when I sit outside to drink coffee (at 4 a.m.).
Essential oils that repel (off top of my head) are
Peppermint
Eucalyptus
Lavender
And usually use 2 oils. Right now peppermint and Eucalyptus, I'm out of lavender.
I also will spray coop occasionally, it helps with flies also. Doesn't kill just runs em off.

Attachments

• casportpony's PermethrinRatiosRev.jpg
    casportpony's PermethrinRatiosRev.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 37
Here's ifo from from @casportpony on mixing
My husband bought 2 bottles that are premixed, the Sawyer brand for camping so I was going to use that first and then rinse the bottle and refill with the one I ordered but it won't hold a gallon so ill have to tweak the measurements. I'm just not sure how much to spray, a light mist on all surfaces, walls, roosts or enough that it looks damp? Still don't know if them eating a bug would be a problem?

I have sprayed my coops for mites and to my surprise it also eliminated the flies. I did spray weekly for about a month.

Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg
MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg

Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg

Back
Top Bottom