Pet quail

Has anyone ever kept coturnix/meat quail as pets or aviary birds? I’m wondering if they can live successfully with pigeons
Hi, I have. We kept quail from Nov 202 until May 2022. We kept them as pets and for eggs. Quail are “flighty”, but I don’t want my pets to act contrary to their nature so it didn’t bother me. They still took treats from my hands and followed me around in their cage.
If you are looking to have a super tame quail, I’d recommend getting eggs from jumbo quail and hatching them yourself and spending a lot of time socializing them.
One of the quail lived with our parakeets sometimes and he did not have a problem so I imagine they’d be fine with pigeons. I’d be hesitant to put a male coturnix with pigeons though b/c he will try to mount them (male or female).
Quail are not good indoor pets unless you have 1 or 2 because they will smell. Also, quail are generally dirty birds when given the right conditions (dust bath, oyster shell, scratching dirt box). The dust really gets everywhere. On the other hand, IMO they are too defenseless to leave outside. As flighty as they are, they are easy prey for really any critter.

Back
Top Bottom