[pic] Roosting Question [pic]

gltrap54

Songster
13 Years
Mar 26, 2010
52292_012.jpg

Girls (2 month Gold Comets) don't want to use the roosts in their new coop. They're roosting in one nesting box & on one sill of a side wall vent. How long will it take them to figure things out?

Last edited:
They are still kinda young at that age. I would cover up the nesting boxes so they can't get inside them. Then for a few nights I would go out there at dusk and physically place them on the roosts. Do that a few times and they should get the hang of it.

A while, yet.
idunno.gif

My 15 week old pullets still pile together in a nest box and near it (all five are too big for one box now). They use the roosts during the day, occasionally, but don't roost at night yet.

My last batches of chickens did the same.... but eventually used the roost bars. I'm not going to worry about it.

OP here........ Guess I just need to give it some time......... Kinda thought it would be a natural since they took to the roost in their brooder right away..........
idunno.gif

You might want to try a little ladder up to the roosts. While they probably don't need it, they might like to use it in the beginning until they get the hang of flying up there. Just a thought.

Quote:
I thought of that earlier........ Guess I better get busy & make em a ladder!

Chickens are natural jumpers and will eventually get up to them. Mine were good on the roost (w/o a ladder) at around 8-10 weeks old. My roosts are 2.0' and 3.5' off of the floor, respectively. Once they reached the bottom one the other was even easier!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom