Picky drakes?

Horsefly

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Virginia
Will your drakes pick a favorite girl and split off from the group with his girl? I have 1 drake and 3 ducks and the last couple days every time I go out the drake and one girl are on seperate sides of the pond or yard than the other two girls. The two girls are 1 1/2 yrs old and were raised together and the drake and other girl are almost 8 months old and were hatched together. They have always staid in a group together until the last few days. I have noticed the drake chasing the girls around the last week so maybe he is just becoming mature? I see him chase one of the girls in the other group alot if they get close to each other so maybe that's why she is trying to stay away? Is breeding season starting or when will they get along again?
Also my ducks haven't layed this year except for a couple dozen eggs in February. Is there a way to increase their production and get them laying again? They are all pekin ducks. Thanks

Yes, it is possible that the drake will take a shine to a select female (or females depending on the size of flock) and ignore mating with the others. Every drake is an individual and has his own tastes. Some even prefer to mate with other males, even with plenty of females available.

From personal experience, I have seen one of my Muscovy drakes become a serial monogamist. I kept him with three hens, and at first he mated with them all but then he picked the grey female and pretty much just focused on her. Then they all went broody at the same time and left him hanging, and he would mate with anyone who ventured out of the lay box to eat and drink. Now that they have hatched their babies and are no longer broody though, he is focusing only on the white one.

Back
Top Bottom