Piebald / mixed breed color variation

Goose Smith

Songster
Jan 13, 2023
I saw another thread where discussion of goose plumage and genetic stuff was going on… needless to say, at my experience level I did not understand much of it.

I got that some genes are dilute and others are dominant. But that’s pretty much it… this year I’ve hatched some goslings that were a result of Embden X American Buff and Embden x Embden. I remember that the embden goslings had light gray saddles that faded to white later and the buffs were similar but darker colored all over.

I have two that are embden-ish with blue eyes but also have some strange pattern on their heads. There’s others that just look like buff geese but I’m not sure how that’s possible as the embden male was the only male servicing the buff geese.

Here’s the odd (to me at least) patterned ones :
IMG_0840.jpeg

And these appear more normal for buff goslings they are marked with arrows:
IMG_0839.jpeg

So to get to the point… am I seeing 2 normal embden goslings and three “buffs”? Or will the “buffs” be something else since their daddy was an Embden?

They are pied. that is what the pattern is called. Its a combination of white and solid genetics. Because you used embden they may feather out as Blue pied or diluted pied. Embden cary the Blue gene as there hidden color. The buff gene is only carried by the boy in breeding.

They are pied. that is what the pattern is called. It’s a combination of white and solid genetics. Because you used embden they may feather out as Blue pied or diluted pied. Embden cary the Blue gene as there hidden color. The buff gene is only carried by the boy in breeding.
Okay, good to know! I’ll look forward to seeing how they mature. Thank you!

Okay, good to know! I’ll look forward to seeing how they mature. Thank you!
Bringing in the white and the quality into Africa heavyweights has been a education. My white quality was very questionable so re homed most of them and got some spits from another breeder. Got my first white this year. The other baby is pied

Attachments

• a 002.JPG
    a 002.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 6
Bringing in the white and the quality into Africa heavyweights has been an education. My white quality was very questionable so re homed most of them and got some spits from another breeder. Got my first white this year. The other baby is pied
those are sure to be some amazing geese! 😃

I hope you will post their progress!

I’ve been reading the post someone named Pete made on the color variables with certain parings of Sebastopol geese and wishing there were threads on all the other crosses and breeds too lol

Back
Top Bottom