Planning ahead to get guineas

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I am hoping to get a flock of guineas in the spring so I have lots of time to get ready and lots of questions. I already care for Muscovy ducks, chickens, and peacocks. They each have their own coops and runs.
How many to get - I understand that they need other guineas. How many would you suggest I get to start? Does 6 - 10 sound reasonable.
Coop and run - I haven't found anything on BYC specific to guinea needs. I do realize that the size is also dependent upon the number I have. I'm looking for suggestions of size and materials of coop and run. I have about 3 acres but am surrounded by farm land. I have two options for placement. 2 sides of my land are covered by mixed woods, mostly tall cedars. I could build on the edge of this. Other option is beside a small copse of trees in the middle of my place. After appropriate climatizing to my place, my aim would be to let them free range during the day, and hopefully training them to return to coop at night.
More questions about appropriate feed, etc., will be asked when I am closer to their arrival.
Thanks

I am hoping to get a flock of guineas in the spring so I have lots of time to get ready and lots of questions. I already care for Muscovy ducks, chickens, and peacocks. They each have their own coops and runs.
How many to get - I understand that they need other guineas. How many would you suggest I get to start? Does 6 - 10 sound reasonable.
Coop and run - I haven't found anything on BYC specific to guinea needs. I do realize that the size is also dependent upon the number I have. I'm looking for suggestions of size and materials of coop and run. I have about 3 acres but am surrounded by farm land. I have two options for placement. 2 sides of my land are covered by mixed woods, mostly tall cedars. I could build on the edge of this. Other option is beside a small copse of trees in the middle of my place. After appropriate climatizing to my place, my aim would be to let them free range during the day, and hopefully training them to return to coop at night.
More questions about appropriate feed, etc., will be asked when I am closer to their arrival.
Thanks
Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts by @PeepsCA .
I do not recommend having fewer than 10 guineas.

Recommended coop minimums are at least 4 sq. ft. of clear floor space per adult bird. More area is better. This does not include space taken up by feeders, waterers, etc. They like to roost high so a tall building is better than a short building.

Their instinctive behaviors are different than any other type of poultry.

They can be trained to coop in the evening with treats or by herding them. They can be taught to come to a call with treats.

My Guinea Coop

Back
Top Bottom