Please check my eggs!

Jun 5, 2022
I’m new to getting duck eggs and I want to make sure they’re safe to eat. I was told to go by the smell and the cloudiness but my overthinking self can’t trust myself 😂

I thought all eggs have somewhat cloudiness/white to them? When I smell them, sometimes I can’t smell anything and sometimes they smell like pond.

I’m getting two a day and we don’t eat eggs everyday but I don’t have any eggs older than 7 days so should they be smelling like pond? I’m not sure how long duck eggs stay fresh. I don’t wash them because my ducks actually use their coop/nesting box. And they sit in my egg carton on my counter.

Attachments

• AF6E586B-B20D-4677-BD37-B6F17EFE79F5.jpeg
    AF6E586B-B20D-4677-BD37-B6F17EFE79F5.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 324248A0-B2A7-45F0-AFFF-FC047B7B6262.jpeg
    324248A0-B2A7-45F0-AFFF-FC047B7B6262.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 3F85D6A2-C705-492C-8F83-C0247B3705DC.jpeg
    3F85D6A2-C705-492C-8F83-C0247B3705DC.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 1
I’m new to getting duck eggs and I want to make sure they’re safe to eat. I was told to go by the smell and the cloudiness but my overthinking self can’t trust myself 😂

I thought all eggs have somewhat cloudiness/white to them? When I smell them, sometimes I can’t smell anything and sometimes they smell like pond.

I’m getting two a day and we don’t eat eggs everyday but I don’t have any eggs older than 7 days so should they be smelling like pond? I’m not sure how long duck eggs stay fresh. I don’t wash them because my ducks actually use their coop/nesting box. And they sit in my egg carton on my counter.
They look good to me
I also don’t wash my duck eggs as I keep my coop very clean and my girls also use the dog crates as nesting boxes to lay
I have left mine out for a week before eating as well

They look good to me
I also don’t wash my duck eggs as I keep my coop very clean and my girls also use the dog crates as nesting boxes to lay
I have left mine out for a week before eating as well
Their coop is great! But the rest of their run is SO wet and gets SO muddy.

I just thought it was weird that it can smell like pond and I have no clue how long they can be good for.

Thank you!

Their coop is great! But the rest of their run is SO wet and gets SO muddy.

I just thought it was weird that it can smell like pond and I have no clue how long they can be good for.

Thank you!
I have never smelled a Pond smell on mine.
We have a harsh winter so out ponds are empty and only using kid pools cleaned daily when the temps make are nice out
But I will try this in the spring time
I clean my ponds every 4-5 days
I wonder if their feathers have the smell after swimming and it gets on the eggs

The eggs could probably sit on the counter for a couple months if the are clean. I'm not sure about making sure they smell like the pond, but if they are bad and you crack them open you will know it by the terrible smell. As far as the cloudiness that may be different for individual birds. Most ducks have pretty clear whites though. If I have an egg I'm not sure about, I use my phone and candle the egg. By knowing what a good egg looks like I can spot a bad egg easily.

Personally I clean my eggs and store in the fridge- but unwashed on the counter should be perfectly fine for a good amount of time too.
Those eggs look good to me!
In my experience, an old or rotten egg is fairly obvious to the senses 🤮
If they have no smell, or a very slight eggy scent, and they look good, I wouldn't worry.

The eggs could probably sit on the counter for a couple months if the are clean. I'm not sure about making sure they smell like the pond, but if they are bad and you crack them open you will know it by the terrible smell. As far as the cloudiness that may be different for individual birds. Most ducks have pretty clear whites though. If I have an egg I'm not sure about, I use my phone and candle the egg. By knowing what a good egg looks like I can spot a bad egg easily.
I’ve never done this! How do I do that??

Back
Top Bottom