Please help!!! Baby duck bleeding from mouth

Chiquens4U

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2022
I let my broody duck sit on and collect 5 eggs. 3 hatched healthy and well. I’ve only ever had 1 broody chicken so I was pretty new to this. Today I find the 4th baby on its back shivering on wet bedding and the mom protecting but not sitting on it. The bedding was wet because y’all know how ducks are and she did not want to get out of the coop to eat and drink so I had to bring it inside. I felt uncomfortable seeing it was still not being tended to and brought it inside to my incubator and figured I could let it perk up before reintroducing it to her. I thought worst case scenario she rejects it and I will have to raise it. I go to refresh the bedding before the last duck hatches and it was too late. Same thing pushed to the side cold and stiff on wet bedding and not being tended to. Also looked like it was unusually bloody and wounded then then the one before. Then I start stressing because I’m thinking what if they came out too late or something and she doesn’t consider them hers and she’s trying to kill them. I also was like is it because I’m here trying to monitor that’s stressing her out? I gently and calmly try to put a little bit of dry bedding but the mom is going crazy and attacking me and bites and tramples the poor little baby. I assumed maybe it was a accident but I felt I should not take the risk and it wouldn’t be bad if the other one had a buddy to help perk up. I brought it and left momma to cool down and made sure she was still good with her current babies. I kept a eye out and saw the babies were perking up but now one look splayed and one is bleeding from the mouth. I’m so sad and I am not sure if the mom knew something was wrong or if I did something. Hatching with a non aggressive sweet hen was a lot easier and less hassle. I know all moms have different temperament but I don’t know what to do I hate seeing it suffer. I don’t know if I regret intervening at all. What might have caused this? Internal damage right at hatching?

I let my broody duck sit on and collect 5 eggs. 3 hatched healthy and well. I’ve only ever had 1 broody chicken so I was pretty new to this. Today I find the 4th baby on its back shivering on wet bedding and the mom protecting but not sitting on it. The bedding was wet because y’all know how ducks are and she did not want to get out of the coop to eat and drink so I had to bring it inside. I felt uncomfortable seeing it was still not being tended to and brought it inside to my incubator and figured I could let it perk up before reintroducing it to her. I thought worst case scenario she rejects it and I will have to raise it. I go to refresh the bedding before the last duck hatches and it was too late. Same thing pushed to the side cold and stiff on wet bedding and not being tended to. Also looked like it was unusually bloody and wounded then then the one before. Then I start stressing because I’m thinking what if they came out too late or something and she doesn’t consider them hers and she’s trying to kill them. I also was like is it because I’m here trying to monitor that’s stressing her out? I gently and calmly try to put a little bit of dry bedding but the mom is going crazy and attacking me and bites and tramples the poor little baby. I assumed maybe it was a accident but I felt I should not take the risk and it wouldn’t be bad if the other one had a buddy to help perk up. I brought it and left momma to cool down and made sure she was still good with her current babies. I kept a eye out and saw the babies were perking up but now one look splayed and one is bleeding from the mouth. I’m so sad and I am not sure if the mom knew something was wrong or if I did something. Hatching with a non aggressive sweet hen was a lot easier and less hassle. I know all moms have different temperament but I don’t know what to do I hate seeing it suffer. I don’t know if I regret intervening at all. What might have caused this? Internal damage right at hatching?
If mom is attacking the babies or any baby I would remove them all
No way I would leave her unattended with them
Can you post pics of the injuries ?

Some chicks come out to early, so they are usually not healthy enough to heal from broken blood vessels and end up dying. Most broodies know which chicks are viable to keep or ignore. It's part of survival of the fittest. Your presence didn't influence her actions.

If mom is attacking the babies or any baby I would remove them all
No way I would leave her unattended with them
Can you post pics of the injuries ?
750EAF04-4932-46F8-A5B7-BDC005B7C875.jpeg

I put the other one outside with the family today because he was dry and more perked up. She seems to have accepted it back and it tries to follow. She doesn’t seem to have much mercy on it just being born because shes already taken them out to the run when he still is very wobbly. I don’t expect ducks to be the smartest either but I’m worried she will still find it weak and kill it or something. I should have let her sit on all the eggs at once instead of letting her collect them naturally because now they are a couple days apart in age which makes a huge difference in how well they can keep up. As far as the other one I was expecting to wake up and see it dead but it’s still hanging in there suffering. I don’t know what to do it is dry and the incubator smells so on going to try putting it in the brooder. I doubt he will make it but I will do anything to try. I feel like with a broody it’s harder for me then for her and I was expecting the opposite. Now I worry they are not eating. 😅 Honestly I considered just taking them from her but I feel like that would only cause more damage and I don’t want to do anything unless I have to.

Last edited:
View attachment 3564571
I put the other one outside with the family today because he was dry and more perked up. She seems to have accepted it back and it tries to follow. She doesn’t seem to have much mercy on it just being born because shes already taken them out to the run when he still is very wobbly. I don’t expect ducks to be the smartest either but I’m worried she will still find it weak and kill it or something. I should have let her sit on all the eggs at once instead of letting her collect them naturally because now they are a couple days apart in age which makes a huge difference in how well they can keep up. As far as the other one I was expecting to wake up and see it dead but it’s still hanging in there suffering. I don’t know what to do it is dry and the incubator smells so on going to try putting it in the brooder. I doubt he will make it but I will do anything to try. I feel like with a broody it’s harder for me then for her and I was expecting the opposite. Now I worry they are not eating. 😅 Honestly I considered just taking them from her but I feel like that would only cause more damage and I don’t want to do anything unless I have to.
I just had a broody duck
I had an area blocked off in the pen for first 3 days
Then I let her bring them out into the attached fully enclosed attached outbuilding
After about 1.5 weeks I let her bring them out with the flock
I kept water and feed in the blocked off area in the duck house so they had it available 24/7
My broody mom has done great at taking them to feed and water every few hours
Now at almost 3 weeks she is letting them do their own thing
They go get feed when they want but I do still keep a bowl of each In the area in duck house for them at night

Attachments

• 914152EC-8B3B-497D-814B-261EC301547F.jpeg
    914152EC-8B3B-497D-814B-261EC301547F.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2321A704-95D4-4BA3-B56D-C947F826FB4B.png
    2321A704-95D4-4BA3-B56D-C947F826FB4B.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom