PLEASE HELP Emergency Bunny Question: mucus-y poops??

bree1699

Hatching
Jun 4, 2020
Hey all,

Earlier this week I adopted to baby bunnies. I hadn't known when I agreed to take them, but they are only 4 weeks old and were pushed out when their mom had a new litter.

I've been trying my best but im a brand new and very paranoid bunny mom. Earlier today one of them had a couple of poops with a good bit of mucus mixed in and I panicked. Now one of them (not sure if its the same one or not) has had three really big poops. Like at least twice the size of their normal ones.

Should I be concerned?? I've been bawling my eyes out because I'm so afraid that one of them is sick. Right now they're both still eating and drinking and hopping around as normal. My parents won't let me take them to the emergency vet and I can't afford to on my own. PLEASE HELP.

Can you take a picture of the poo? It's gross I know lol but it may help us help you.

Typically, unless it is diarrhea, changes in poop normally indicate something with diet, and probably isn't an emergency. But I've never had young rabbits, so I don't know if I am wrong in saying this is true for young buns like yours.

But, it almost sounds to me like those are cecotropes, which are good poops actually. Unless the mucus is different? Maybe someone can correct me if 4 week old buns produce them yet or not...or if this is totally something different.

But to give you info on cetrotropes...
Cecotropes are softer, darker poops that are a bit bigger than normal poops, and typically the rabbit eats them right as they are produced, since they are full of good bacteria and nutrients that they need. Rabbits will drop them occasionally, but typically that is because of either diet problems or inability to reach down and eat them.

If the rabbits are otherwise acting totally normal, and most importantly eating and drinking, I wouldn't stress out too much. If something goes wrong or looks out of place for my rabbits, I do a lot of research online, and also go to forums like this one for help before I do anything. They probably won't need a vet, but again, I don't know much about young rabbits like this, so someone may have to correct me if I am mistaken.

Can you take a picture of the poo? It's gross I know lol but it may help us help you.

Typically, unless it is diarrhea, changes in poop normally indicate something with diet, and probably isn't an emergency. But I've never had young rabbits, so I don't know if I am wrong in saying this is true for young buns like yours.

But, it almost sounds to me like those are cecotropes, which are good poops actually. Unless the mucus is different? Maybe someone can correct me if 4 week old buns produce them yet or not...or if this is totally something different.

But to give you info on cetrotropes...
Cecotropes are softer, darker poops that are a bit bigger than normal poops, and typically the rabbit eats them right as they are produced, since they are full of good bacteria and nutrients that they need. Rabbits will drop them occasionally, but typically that is because of either diet problems or inability to reach down and eat them.

If the rabbits are otherwise acting totally normal, and most importantly eating and drinking, I wouldn't stress out too much. If something goes wrong or looks out of place for my rabbits, I do a lot of research online, and also go to forums like this one for help before I do anything. They probably won't need a vet, but again, I don't know much about young rabbits like this, so someone may have to correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks so much for your help!
here's a really bad quality picture of the poo, it had dried out some at this point but was more mucousy and moist before hand.

Since last night I have decided to give them only timothy hay for the time being to help their guts readjust and theyre doing a lot better! the poops are back to normal and they are eating and pooping and running around like two very happy little babies! fingers crossed that they're gonna continue that trend, haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200724-111139_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20200724-111139_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 7
What are you feeding them? They should be getting just hay and pellets. I don't know if you are feeding them greens, but if you are, stop. Greens can cause serious digestive issues in young bunnies.

Thanks so much for your help!
here's a really bad quality picture of the poo, it had dried out some at this point but was more mucousy and moist before hand.

Since last night I have decided to give them only timothy hay for the time being to help their guts readjust and theyre doing a lot better! the poops are back to normal and they are eating and pooping and running around like two very happy little babies! fingers crossed that they're gonna continue that trend, haha
From looking at the picture, it doesn't really look like cecotropes to me, but like I said diet changes often can be changed easily. I'm so glad to hear they're doing fine! Also another note, I've heard that alfalfa hay is good for young rabbits under a year because it is high in calcium and other nutrients, just don't feed it to rabbits over a year old since it can cause problems. I don't know what caused the mucusy poops, but perhaps if they keep having problems you can try giving some alfalfa to see if those extra nutrients may help. But maybe someone has to correct me on this, I don't know lol. Just a thought. Timothy should be fine though.

Hope your buns keep doing well! :)

Back
Top Bottom