Please help me understand Mareks

kristendouglass

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 28, 2015
I believe we have 2 hens (out of 6) that have contracted mareks. About a week ago one of them started with balance issues, using her wings to balance, stumbling, falling forward but then righting self. Another one started in with same symptoms yesterday. They are both still eating and drinking normally with no other symptoms other than looking “puffy”. They get around the run ok and still want to be with the rest of the flock. I have read conflicting information about what to do from here. Some say euthanize immediately. Others say wait 2 weeks to see if there is some improvement in symptoms, that they will always have the virus but could recover from specific symptoms. My understanding is that isolation will do no good, as they have all been exposed. Can someone please guide me on appropriate action from here? Thank you

How old are they?

We cull birds showing symptoms here so they don't suffer too long.

If your birds are considered pets you may want to try a week or two of vitamins as sometimes vitamin deficiencies can look similar to mareks. So can botulism which they can get from consuming moldy feeds.

Have you felt them to see if they are losing weight? Feel the keel bone to see if it's sharp. Birds that are losing weight may also stumble about.

I usually wait until the birds start to present with the one leg forward. That is almost always mareks. Then we definitely cull. Symptomatic birds are thought to be shedding the virus, so that's why sick birds should be removed one way or the other.

They are about 5 months old. I should mention that we had 2 die about a month ago over the course of 2 days with breathing issues. I have had chickens for 10 years and have never had any illness. This is the first time I bought chicks from a hatchery rather than a backyard breeder, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it. I have been putting vet rx in their water, alternating with apple cider vinegar. Is botulism treatable?

Hatchery chicks tend to be more sterile. Backyard flocks can carry diseases. It all depends on what's in your particular area.

This time of year due to the weather changes and migrating birds bringing in illness, you may see more problems. At 5 months it is about the age that birds can start to show symptoms of mareks.

I think that botulism has to just run it's course with supportive care. Usually with botulism the bird will be unable to lift it's head. I'm not experienced treating it.

Hopefully someone more familiar with treatment will help out.

They are about 5 months old. I should mention that we had 2 die about a month ago over the course of 2 days with breathing issues. I have had chickens for 10 years and have never had any illness. This is the first time I bought chicks from a hatchery rather than a backyard breeder, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it. I have been putting vet rx in their water, alternating with apple cider vinegar. Is botulism treatable?
I am going through a Mareks epidemic in my flock at present. What happened with your chickens in the end? Did they recover

I am going through a Mareks epidemic in my flock at present. What happened with your chickens in the end? Did they recover
It is always good to send a body to your state vet for a necropsy and testing. There are other reasons for imbalance and other symptoms. Mold in feed, a toxic plant or substance in your yard, heavy metal poisoning, and others. Botulism is usually fatal within 24 hours. Symptoms include flaccid paralysis of feet, legs, wings, neck, and eyelids. It comes from eating dead animall remains that have been without air under water or under ground, such as compost.

Back
Top Bottom