PLEASE HELP! My Muscovy egg is trying to internally pip. Should I put him in lockdown?

The shadowing in the picture look like it should
Before the internal pip the egg will sometimes rock and even roll around abc not be where you last had it
Shadowing along the air cell and pushing on the membrane then the last thing is the air cell will dip forward really fast that side should be the one facing up
These things can happen days before the actual internal pip
I would not be turning this baby anymore as it’s most likely in hatch position
But you can move it to a lockdown bator with no issues
They don’t get shrink wrapped unless there is an external pip and you were to bring it out to dry cool air
You can safely candle baby morning and night leaving it where it lays in the bator so your not moving the egg but this will give you a round about time baby internal pips
Once I see the internal I mark the time and leave baby be unless 24 hours goes by then I make a small safety hole and leave baby again
Usually they still external pip and hatch themselves
Humidity for hatching I keep at 65
Yoy can go between 65-70

Baby seems to be doing fine and right on time. I know what you mean about being a nervous wreck, I was too with my duck eggs and I ended up losing all of them, either before or after hatch. I've learned (at least with my chicken eggs!) to not sweat the small stuff. It may be a bit different if I try ducks again, lol!

Tagging @New duck mommy 2021 as she is by far the best to walk you through things, imo, but I would say you're doing fine. Have the humidity between 70-75%.
Thank you :)

How did you manage to get mom off the eggs? LOL

Wonderful little video. :)

Oh, and @AmyA248 don't forget that ducks take a while to hatch, sometimes as long as 48 hours after the EXTERNAL pip! That really messes with the minds of us new (and some of the old) hatchers!
Hi!

I know right? It’s a Muscovy so they take 34-37 days. The egg is 36 days today and is in lockdown.
It’s the only one that made it to this point so far and I’m a nervous wreck!!

I was told to put him in lockdown at day 30, but I STILL can’t get a correct answer regarding the humidity during lockdown.
Everything I read contradicts one another and I know it vitally important!
I know you’re not supposed to candle during lockdown, but I’m so worried because my incubator is awful and doesn’t hold the humidity correctly. So I get up during the night every 2 hours to check and fix the humidity. And I’m exhausted.
Anyway, I just candled him and he’s trying SO hard to pip. The air sac is huge and uneven and I honestly don’t know how he even fits anymore.
Also, can a duckling be breach?
I don’t think he is because all the activity is right above the air sac, and boy is he active!
There is no more fluid left in the egg either so I know he’s ready.
I tried to post a video from TikTok but it didn’t work, I’ll sign up for YouTube and try from there, as I really need some advice!!
I’m really starting to worry because we are so invested in these eggs because mom didn’t go broody and she’s been laying since January 23rd! 35 eggs so far that she lays everywhere but her brooding box!
So I have eggs of every age in my incubator right now..

Kindly,
Amy

The shadowing in the picture look like it should
Before the internal pip the egg will sometimes rock and even roll around abc not be where you last had it
Shadowing along the air cell and pushing on the membrane then the last thing is the air cell will dip forward really fast that side should be the one facing up
These things can happen days before the actual internal pip
I would not be turning this baby anymore as it’s most likely in hatch position
But you can move it to a lockdown bator with no issues
They don’t get shrink wrapped unless there is an external pip and you were to bring it out to dry cool air
You can safely candle baby morning and night leaving it where it lays in the bator so your not moving the egg but this will give you a round about time baby internal pips
Once I see the internal I mark the time and leave baby be unless 24 hours goes by then I make a small safety hole and leave baby again
Usually they still external pip and hatch themselves
Humidity for hatching I keep at 65
Yoy can go between 65-70
Hi!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Finally I got the information I’ve been looking for and I can’t thank you enough! ❤️
Right now he is desperately trying to internally pip! I candled him this morning to check his progress because I’m a nervous wreck! The air sac is huge and uneven and I honestly don’t know how he even fits in his shell anymore. Lol!
I really would like to post a video but I’m not having any luck for some reason.
We are so invested in this little baby because I keep losing them between days 13-16 for some reason.
Possibly because it’s my girl’s first clutch?
But as of right now I have staggered ages of eggs in my incubator because she’s been laying non stop since January 23rd!
It’s so bizarre and she just lays them anywhere but her brooding box.
We hand raised our ducks and want so much to be able to add to the “family” but I’ve heard that Muscovy’s are very difficult to incubate as well.

I truly appreciate your help and kindness.

Blessings,
Amy

Thank you :)
Oh my goodness, I’m so terribly sorry to hear that you lost all your babies. How heartbreaking!
We invest so much into doing everything right and to lose them after being so emotionally invested is just awful!

I currently have 2 ducklings, we started with 3 that we got from Tractor Supply, and the littlest one passed away after 2 days and I have no idea why!
It absolutely broke my heart and my daughter cried for 3 days. My maternal instincts told me something was wrong by watching her carefully and I knew in my gut that she likely would pass.
I purchased them at Tractor Supply before I read an absolutely AWFUL article about the way they treat their animals that was written by an employee anonymously in which he provided pictures and terribly upsetting information on the sickening treatment these poor babies endure.
I will never again purchase a chick or duckling from them!
If you’d like to see the article just google the subject. It will shock any animal lover and it had me in tears and sick to my stomach!

Anyway, thank you again so very much!!

Blessings,
Amy

Hi!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Finally I got the information I’ve been looking for and I can’t thank you enough! ❤️
Right now he is desperately trying to internally pip! I candled him this morning to check his progress because I’m a nervous wreck! The air sac is huge and uneven and I honestly don’t know how he even fits in his shell anymore. Lol!
I really would like to post a video but I’m not having any luck for some reason.
We are so invested in this little baby because I keep losing them between days 13-16 for some reason.
Possibly because it’s my girl’s first clutch?
But as of right now I have staggered ages of eggs in my incubator because she’s been laying non stop since January 23rd!
It’s so bizarre and she just lays them anywhere but her brooding box.
We hand raised our ducks and want so much to be able to add to the “family” but I’ve heard that Muscovy’s are very difficult to incubate as well.

I truly appreciate your help and kindness.

Blessings,
Amy
She is young so she may not have the broody instincts yet
They are the best at sitting on eggs when they are ready
For loosing then it could be she is young and do us dad and maybe things just aren’t strong enough yet
If you were to gather those eggs each day and set them in the nest box she would see them gather and may help her to ho broody
But if your taking them each day she may not
When she does get a clutch going she won’t sit until she has a nest full
And she may change abc be one more aggressive if you get to close
Not all do but some do
Be patient as they don’t stay this way only while sitting on a nest
As for baby that’s going it sounds very close to the internal pip time
I would think within the next day or two

I began my love of birds after having a mama wild Muscovy hatch 13 little ones out of 14 eggs that she sat on thru the WORST weather a few years ago... just couldn't get over her dogged patience!! Also learned what a broody poop is from that too!! YIKES ;-)

I read this last comment by New Duck Mommy 2021-and sounded SO familiar- I was fascinated that she laid those 14 eggs over the course of a couple weeks if I remember correctly and yes did not start to "sit the nest" until she was done laying.... and SIT she did!! ;-)
We had to intervene- or did at least- when she was injured trying to save one of her babies that was killed by ?a snapping turtle most likely- all happened pretty quickly but that's the only thing that was IN the lake or on the shore that could have done it- thought she'd broken her leg or something as she was limping awfully afterwards and we could see blood so back in VA Beach where we lived at the time- there is a great waterfowl group that helps anyone who calls and so we knew from multiple issues over 20yrs re: ducks or geese in our yard or neighborhood, to take her to a free clinic by the courthouse and they took her in and took care of her and the chicks for about a week- ended up being a big gash above her leg in her abdomen area likely from snapping turtle.... ANYWay ;-) after a week, I had no idea but they showed up and released her and all 12 remaining chicks in our yard! We were involved by then and she didn't seem to mind and stuck around....

Was hard to watch as one by one they were killed by this or that- I've seen it for yrs with the geese and other ducks like Mallards so tried to be detached.... until they were down the final 8 who were getting big by then- and were very friendly to me and even did little tricks to get a few dried mealworms ;-) haha I spent so much time outside that spring with those little ducks and mama... a new "Daddy" adopted the group and treated her so kindly compared to the one I think fathered most of the little ones- but eventually Mama took off along with 4 of the final males... I think she actually may have had new eggs to lay?? but had to finally detach from these "chicks" that were getting VERY big- was an usual situation from what I can tell- but loved every minute and learned a LOT about how wonderful Muscovy Ducks are and how coveted they can be by homesteaders...

Alas NOT easy to get.... once we moved to where I could "keep' some on our property... SO I have chickens.... but would love to adopt a muscovy one day!

Back
Top Bottom